• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds fall from Arkansas Sky (1 Viewer)

It's probably one of those uncommon phenomena that regularly happens but goes largely unreported. Now that it's hitting the headlines, every case is being reported.

In addition to misidentifying some of the birds, these articles have some puzzling statements. Here's one that stuck out: "Blackbirds have poor eyesight, and they started colliding with things."

The eyesight of most birds is their most highly developed sense--as you might expect from an animal that flies. As the Sibley bird behavior guide notes "the acuity of avian eyesight is unparalleled among vertebrates: On average, birds can see two to three times more sharply than humans..."

I don't have any specific info on the eyesight of icterids, but would be surprised if they depart dramatically from that general rule. If anyone has reliable info, I'd be interested.

Best,
Jim

Hi Jim

I think the quote about the 'Blackbirds' having bad eyesight does not make sense as the birds have to survive and stop themselves being predated on ie by Sparrowhawks :eek!:

Imagine a flock of shortsighted Blackbirds flying about the planet - it does not make sense as all animals are equiped to protect themselves and live as part of the eco system. o:)

Regards
Kathy
x

It's probably one of those uncommon phenomena that regularly happens but goes largely unreported. Now that it's hitting the headlines, every case is being reported.

Exactly - news spread fast and I hope that is all we are going to hear now

Regards
Kathy
x

The images shown on the TV this a.m. showed a road filled with dead birds and a couple of closeups showed there were Starlings mixed in as well. I don't remember hearing anything about Starlings in the mix.

The 2 species often roost together, so the presence of starlings among the dead Red-wings is maybe not unexpected. Grackles, cowbirds & crows also sometimes form part of these mixed species roosts, but AFAIK there have been no reports of these birds as yet among the present crop of casualties.

I prefer the theory that somehow it's linked with Sarah Palin's tour of the south. Coincidence? I don't think so.

;)

I think you might be on to something there! Next, I guess, is the rivers running dry & the sun turning blood red at noon.

Hi Jim

I think the quote about the 'Blackbirds' having bad eyesight does not make sense as the birds have to survive and stop themselves being predated on ie by Sparrowhawks :eek!:

Imagine a flock of shortsighted Blackbirds flying about the planet - it does not make sense as all animals are equiped to protect themselves and live as part of the eco system. o:)

Regards
Kathy
x

Besides, even if they were poor-sighted, it would be a bit of a coincidence if three thousand of them had a simultaneous Mr Magoo moment!

The images shown on the TV this a.m. showed a road filled with dead birds and a couple of closeups showed there were Starlings mixed in as well. I don't remember hearing anything about Starlings in the mix.

I don't expect the media to get basic things right when out of their comfort zone, so don't be surprised if their incomprehension of the natural world results in elementary errors and over-simplifications! The problem is that media mis-statements, when repeated often enough, are welcomed as ammunition by those who think Palin and her ilk are the answer to everything, when we know that Douglas Adams got it right when insisting that '42' was the correct and only answer!
MJB

'Million Fish Found Dead' is currently number 1 trending topic on twitter in the UK, but nowhere to be seen in the US!

UK comments are mainly made up of:

'Oh dear, zombie apocalypse imminent'
and
'Who the hell counted them all'

The 2 species often roost together, so the presence of starlings among the dead Red-wings is maybe not unexpected. Grackles, cowbirds & crows also sometimes form part of these mixed species roosts, but AFAIK there have been no reports of these birds as yet among the present crop of casualties.

They were clearly Starlings so I don't know whether they are not considered explainable because of their being an introduced species and not worth mentioning or what. Not good reporting as far as I'm concerned though.

They were clearly Starlings so I don't know whether they are not considered explainable because of their being an introduced species and not worth mentioning or what. Not good reporting as far as I'm concerned though.

My guess is that anything without an obvious red shoulder patch is written off by the average reporter as a female red-wing.

Given the date, fireworks was my initial first reaction, followed by supposing it could have been weather related given the news of the weather at the time ...

Sorry to harp on about it, but the conspiracy theory scenarios can't be completely ruled out imo ... considering the multiple beachings and deaths of various cetaceans (dolphins and small whales mainly) around the world were until recently (possibly still are) completely and categorically denied by naval agencies as having anything to do with them and their sonar charges etc ... hmmm, yeah right ...

(btw not saying the US necessarily did for the Blackbirds ...)

The articles are making more sense now, but are still devoid of any real evidence. They now say: "Blackbirds have poor night vision and typically do not fly at night." That I can believe as opposed to earlier articles that said Blackbirds had very poor eyesight. But it's still implausible, though not impossible, that there would be several freakish occurrences in the same region of the country over the span of a few days and one would have a unique cause unrelated to the others. If they don't know what caused the other deaths, they can't really know that that same cause was involved in the deaths where there were fireworks. The presence of fireworks may have simply been a coincedence, and I've seen nothing in the articles to suggest otherwise. Just a convenient scapegoat to put the Arkansas publics mind at ease.

Jim

The articles are making more sense now, but are still devoid of any real evidence. They now say: "Blackbirds have poor night vision and typically do not fly at night." That I can believe as opposed to earlier articles that said Blackbirds had very poor eyesight. But it's still implausible, though not impossible, that there would be several freakish occurrences in the same region of the country over the span of a few days and one would have a unique cause unrelated to the others. If they don't know what caused the other deaths, they can't really know that that same cause was involved in the deaths where there were fireworks. The presence of fireworks may have simply been a coincedence, and I've seen nothing in the articles to suggest otherwise. Just a convenient scapegoat to put the Arkansas publics mind at ease.

The Arkansas Wildlife Commission looking for scapegoats to put the public’s (note the apostrophe) mind at rest? You’re just clutching at straws here, I think.

Coincidences (note the spelling)? We have no real idea how common these events are, as it seems unlikely that the comparable occurrences mentioned in the article--all of which are fairly small-scale--would have been reported outside the region had the Arkansas incident not already achieved national attention.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back