• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk vs Goshawk. Catalonia, Spain (1 Viewer)

Edu82

Hi everyone,
I found this hawk this morning in a mediterranean forest area and not sure about ID. I think Sparrowhawk but i would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks a lot!

Edu

Attachments

• DSCN7100.JPG
    DSCN7100.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN7102.JPG
    DSCN7102.JPG
    471.9 KB · Views: 343
Juvenile Gos for me

I think based on the markings on the breast looking 'streaked' down the breast - which is juvenile Goshawk, rather than 'stripes' across for adult Goshawk and Sparrowhawk. The tail also looks rounded at the end which is another good pointer for Goshawk.

Ian

I think based on the markings on the breast looking 'streaked' down the breast - which is juvenile Goshawk, rather than 'stripes' across for adult Goshawk and Sparrowhawk. The tail also looks rounded at the end which is another good pointer for Goshawk.

Ian

Yes, these were both the apparent features upon which I suggest Juv Gos. Also, the length of the tail and apparent width of the undertail coverts at the tail base.

Although I agree it's unlikely to be a Sparrowhawk (mainly from apparent thickness of tarsi, Sparrowhawks can have a bit of streaking at the neck, and the breast could be artefacts and/or untidy feathers) - wouldn't it be too early in the season for a juvenile Gos, and wouldn't a 2cy Gos have less streaking by June?

Although I agree it's unlikely to be a Sparrowhawk ...wouldn't it be too early in the season for a juvenile Gos, and wouldn't a 2cy Gos have less streaking by June?

Yes, too early for 1cy so I needed quick google revision of molt strategy in Northern Goshawk to answer (Im away and all books at home!)

https://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_journals/1997/rmrs_1997_squires_j002.pdf

Juvenale plumage retained for approx 12 mnths from hatching date ie when bird is 1yr old

Prebasic (sub adult) - attained during the 2nd summer and completed by 2nd w - more or less adult

Adult - during breeding season (f/incubation)(m/after fledglings)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back