• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Assorted Species (x4) Upton Warren, WORCS, UK (1 Viewer)

Sy V

Three slight queries today gang.

The finch appears to have a greenish hue to it. Am I correct thinking that it's nothing more exciting than a female Chaffinch?

The Great-spotted Woodpecker; can we tell the sex from this shot?

Now be gentle with me here folks, 'cos I don't do 'gulls'. Bloke in the hide announced that these were LBBs. They look like Herring Gulls to me, but I suspect I'm wrong. What should I be looking at to differentiate?

GWP - I think this is a male because of the red in his moustache. Am I right (and if not, why not)?

I look forward to your feedback...

Simon

Attachments

• Chaffinch_female_forum.jpg
    Chaffinch_female_forum.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 201
  • GSW2_forum.jpg
    GSW2_forum.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 184
  • LBB_Query_forum.jpg
    LBB_Query_forum.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 217
  • GWP_forum.jpg
    GWP_forum.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 129
Hi Simon 1) female Chaffinch 2) I think female GSW 3) Looks on your photo dark mantled so my guess would be LBB 4) Male Green Woodpecker

1-female chaffinch
2-female, no red spot at the back of the head
3-LBBG, yellowish legs, mantle is far too dark for Herring.
4- male for the feature you have mentionned

Just a normal female Chaffinch in the first picture. I would say the GSW is a female. The Gulls are (I think) LBB and the Green Wood is a male.

Wow guys that's superb and so quick.
Take a bow. Thank you all very much.
Having now Googled 'mantle' to see what you're all on about I think I can see that the dark area comes further up the neck/shoulders on a LBB vs a Herring.
It's been a great day - a marvellous amount of species seen. Great weather at UW and the light really helped with the photography (I'm really trying hard and practising at every opportunity to improve my bird pictures).
I'm feeling so good I think I'll offer a few up for scrutiny in the 'critique' area - those straight talkers will bring me back down to earth with a bump!

Ciao!

Simon

Jonathan

It certainly is.
Feel free to have a mooch around my blog if you like (see signature block), it should bring back some memories.

Having now Googled 'mantle' to see what you're all on about I think I can see that the dark area comes further up the neck/shoulders on a LBB vs a Herring.
I'm not nitpicking - just trying to be helpful ... That's not really what you're looking for. The mantle of a LBBG is much darker than that of a HG. They also have yellow legs, not pink. A very useful field mark is that LBBGs show a dark underwing - very obvious, even at a great distance.

Happy birding

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back