• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spend £800 on a spotting scope incl. eyepiece - suggestions please? (1 Viewer)

JoachimB

Hi!
I'm about to purchase my first spotting scope and I find myself in a bit of a dilemma.
I've browsed several interesting models on various websites, for example warehouseexpress.com, which seem to have resonable prices and good customer support.
My dilemma is - go big or go ED/APO/HD?

The main usage will be trekking in the mountains - hence weight should be considered in the buy, therefore a smaller piece would suit me fine.
However, living in the middle parts of Sweden, where light can be quite dim, perhaps I should consider a lens with larger front?

How much, considering dim light or low light conditions, is gained by using an ED lens vs. regular ones?

I've set my eyes on a few different Kowa scopes, the smaller TSN-601, which is set low in price, however, doesn't have the ED-lens treatment, the TSN-603ED, which is ED-coated, and the larger ones, TSN-661 and TSN-663ED.

With a standard eyepiece, x27, which I think will be suitable for most types of occasions, these will cost:

£443 TSN-601
£569 TSN-661
£693 TSN-603ED
£773 TSN-663ED

EDIT:
£539 TSN-821M (This scope is set quite low in price, even lower than the regular 661 - what are your views on this one)

This will be my first scope, I'm not into digiscoping, and the price range between cheapest-most expensive is quite large, what would be your "best buy"? Is there a significant difference in light advantage between 60mm and 66mm, and how much will the ED-coating affect light - does this only influence sharpness and colours, not light?

Regards, Joachim Sweden

Last edited:
If you are interested in a light scope with excellent optics you cannot do better than a Leica apo-televid 62. The lens' are apo ie they have special coatings to reduce colour fringing and ensure the best optical performance. If you are interested them pm me. I was just about to post it under "For Sale" when I came across your post.

Opticron is running a promotion on its GS 665 GA ED models where you get a free lightweight carbon fibre tripod when buying the scope plus an HDF or SDL eyepiece.

A 25x HDF eyepiece and the body would be priced at £648 (with tax, without shipping) and the free tripod is priced at £178.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/promotions.htm

The downside is that its heavier than the Kowa models you mention at 1kg vs 0.7kg.

Specs are here:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/gs_scope.htm
Warehouse Express offers the body at £20 below retail.

ED50 with Zoom ! Mulepac ! Very light for the mountains, you wont even know you have it on your back...:smoke:
All for about £600 !
And you will have change !:t:

Or what the above say ! Leica APO 62 ! very nice scope ! but you wont have any change !:eek!:

Last edited:
Hi!
I'm about to purchase my first spotting scope and I find myself in a bit of a dilemma.
I've browsed several interesting models on various websites, for example warehouseexpress.com, which seem to have resonable prices and good customer support.
My dilemma is - go big or go ED/APO/HD?

The main usage will be trekking in the mountains - hence weight should be considered in the buy, therefore a smaller piece would suit me fine.
However, living in the middle parts of Sweden, where light can be quite dim, perhaps I should consider a lens with larger front?

How much, considering dim light or low light conditions, is gained by using an ED lens vs. regular ones?

I've set my eyes on a few different Kowa scopes, the smaller TSN-601, which is set low in price, however, doesn't have the ED-lens treatment, the TSN-603ED, which is ED-coated, and the larger ones, TSN-661 and TSN-663ED.

With a standard eyepiece, x27, which I think will be suitable for most types of occasions, these will cost:

£443 TSN-601
£569 TSN-661
£693 TSN-603ED
£773 TSN-663ED

EDIT:
£539 TSN-821M (This scope is set quite low in price, even lower than the regular 661 - what are your views on this one)

This will be my first scope, I'm not into digiscoping, and the price range between cheapest-most expensive is quite large, what would be your "best buy"? Is there a significant difference in light advantage between 60mm and 66mm, and how much will the ED-coating affect light - does this only influence sharpness and colours, not light?

Regards, Joachim Sweden

As you will have gathered many people have strong opinions on scopes. Personally I think there is very little to choose between the 'top' scopes and would never consider a scope with bigger than a 65mm objective because however good it was it'd stay in the boot of my car. I love my 15 - 45x 65mm Zeiss diascope for its huge field of view, in my opinion more important than negligable and often spurious differences in quality but combined with an appropriate tripod even a 65mm scope can be a pain. So if you are using it to hike with I'd recommend my other scope the Nikon 50mm ED - as recommended above- which is just amazing for it's size, and combine it with a lightweight tripod. I have a 20x eyepeice but if I had to choose again would go for the 27X, although if low light is often a problem when you are then the 20x may be better.

Hello fellow swede! I had your dilemma a year ago, was considering if I should buy a medium price scope or one from the big five and what size to chose. I really recommend the 65 mm, I sometimes compare with the guys who got 80 and 85 and it´s not many times the extra lens size gives noticeably brighter image. I also had to chose between HD or non HD. BUt since i opted for 65 mm instead of 80-85 the HD was not much more expensive then then regular 80 mm. I bought a second hand, but in mint condition, ats 65 hd swarovski with 20-60mm zoom eyepiece. I am SO happy I went with a premium scope with HD glass, I cant count the times I have been next to lake, lots of reflections but still a really nice crisp and nice image in my tube. With lower glass quality it´s not that fun experience in those conditions. I payed 10.500 swedish kronor for it from cleyspy. Feel free to pm if you got questions.
Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back