• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More UK Fungi for ID (1 Viewer)

gnome

I've got another few fungi to ID. Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Adam

Attachments

• _Fungus4.jpg
    _Fungus4.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 27
  • _Fungus3.jpg
    _Fungus3.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 28
  • _Fungus2.jpg
    _Fungus2.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 31
  • _Fungus1.jpg
    _Fungus1.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 27
Hi all,

TBH I can't add much to Pete's (correct) suggestions..

1&2 - No idea. TBH A photo showing the underside is probably of more use for ID purposes than a cap photo. Just stick a knife/key/other tool into the soil just below the stem and hook one out and turn it over (this way you minimise handling of the stem and don't damage any useful features.

4 - Gymnopilus sp. (Photo of stem needed to get it to species level)

6 - Ganoderma sp. Was this one on Oak?

Cheers,
Nick

Hi all,

TBH I can't add much to Pete's (correct) suggestions..

1&2 - No idea. TBH A photo showing the underside is probably of more use for ID purposes than a cap photo. Just stick a knife/key/other tool into the soil just below the stem and hook one out and turn it over (this way you minimise handling of the stem and don't damage any useful features.

4 - Gymnopilus sp. (Photo of stem needed to get it to species level)

6 - Ganoderma sp. Was this one on Oak?

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks for your reply Nick. I'm a total novice with fungi so tips like needing an underside shot for ID is really useful. As it happens I do have one for 4 which I've attached. I'm afraid that I don't know what tree 6 was on as it was just a dead trunk (and I'm no good with trees either!). Someone on iSpot has suggested Weeping Widow for 1 though they too suggested an underside shot for confirmation. I'll know to do that in future.

Thanks again

Adam

Attachments

• _Fungus1b.jpg
    _Fungus1b.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 20
Just to let people know that I also posted these to iSpot and got the following ID's

1. Possibly Weeping Widow though it needs and underside shot
2. pass
3. Shaggy Ink-Cap
4. Spectacular Rustgill
5. Birch Polypore
6. Ganoderma agg.

I've got a couple more here if people are able to help. I've included under cap shots as well. I hope there's enough to ID them - the first two are the same fungus as are the last two.

TIA

Adam

Attachments

• _Fungus1.jpg
    _Fungus1.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 21
  • _Fungus1b.jpg
    _Fungus1b.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 17
  • _Fungus2.jpg
    _Fungus2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 15
  • _Fungus2b.jpg
    _Fungus2b.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 26
Hi all,

Totally agree with Gymnopilus junonius with those big rings on the stems.

Not sure on the new white one - It's a little dried up and probably not worth attempting an ID...

That last one's definitely Lacrymaria lacrymabunda!

Cheers,
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back