• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth ID (1 Viewer)

Nerine

Hi. Can anyone id this moth for me? I found it clinging to the wall under the doorstep. Sorry it's not a brilliant photo, its colours were very dusky - pinkish, greenish and beige. It had ragged edges to the wings - about an inch and a half long. Rather beautiful, would be well camouflaged on a rock or tree trunk. Hope someone can help.
Nerine

Attachments

• moth 003.jpg
    moth 003.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 85
It is an Angle Shades, one of the more striking common moths.

I am coming to the Channel Islands at the end of June, Jersey to be exact, and hope to do some moth-trapping whilst there.

Steve

Nerine said:
Hi. Can anyone id this moth for me? I found it clinging to the wall under the doorstep. Sorry it's not a brilliant photo, its colours were very dusky - pinkish, greenish and beige. It had ragged edges to the wings - about an inch and a half long. Rather beautiful, would be well camouflaged on a rock or tree trunk. Hope someone can help.
Nerine

No problem, it's an Angle Shades, It's also one moth that can be found from April through to October, the resident population no doubt being re-inforced by migrating specimens.

Harry Eales.

Steve and Harry, Thank you so much, you have both made my day. I couldn't find a picture of this anywhere. Thanks, both of you for taking the trouble to reply. Steve, please try Guernsey one day! Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Good luck with your moths. Nerine

I got a darker Angle shades today, the like I've never seen before. Didn't get exposure right on pic so the darkness hasn't shown up as well s I'd like.

Attachments

• angleshades.jpg
    angleshades.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 84
Angus T said:
I got a darker Angle shades today, the like I've never seen before. Didn't get exposure right on pic so the darkness hasn't shown up as well s I'd like.

Lovely! How interesting that these moths are all different shades.

Nerine said:
Lovely! How interesting that these moths are all different shades.
It's not that they vary much Nerine but when freshly emerged the greens and pinks are strickingly beautiful, unfortunately after a day or two the colours fade to rather boring browns. Both your picture and Angus's appear to be of freshly emerged specimens.
Harry Eales.

Last edited:
Well as a newbie to moths I found my first Angle shades today. I recognised it straight away from having seen this post. It was on the back door step at 4pm and I almost trod on the thing. I'm not sure whether they are common around here as they are said to be quite scarce in parts of the far north of Scotland although, Easter Ross, being a lowland area often gets many plants and animals which don't generally extend this far up.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/Phlogophora-meticulosa.jpg

Alan

Angus T said:
Nerine & Alan, would there be any geraniums nearby where you saw your angle shades? Its one of the food plants.

Indeed there are - Several Geranium X oxonianum and Geranium X magnificum (cransebill) are in my garden and there is also an abundant supply of Geranium robertianum (Herb Robert) along the burn behind the house. I guess that means I can expect to see more :)

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back