• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is a racing Pigeon a feral pigeon, Columba Livia. (1 Viewer)

How do you know it´s a feral, and not only a roosting, racing pigeon?

Because if it's a racing pigeon roosting anywhere other than its home loft it's gone feral. :t:

... and it had better not go home afterwards otherwise it will be an 'ex-racing pigeon'!

I've always been confused why no one, anywhere records feral pigeons on trip lists or any other list for that matter. There are plenty of feral, introduced birds in the World and they get counted, why not Pigeons?

Andy

I've always been confused why no one, anywhere records feral pigeons on trip lists or any other list for that matter. There are plenty of feral, introduced birds in the World and they get counted, why not Pigeons?

Andy
They are usually recorded now! One more on year lists, trip lists, etc.

I always include them. The problem with making lists (eBird is strongly encouraging us to abandon putting x for numbers) is that counting individuals is time-consuming and the result not rewarding (useless). Whole flocks may be just on the other side of a building and you don't know, then next time they fly this way and you record a much greater number. Today there were hundreds feeding on ground in one park (as I went by in a bus), leisurely walking around and pecking in the grass. Usually there is about two dozen perched on a building and half a dozen on ground. Of course they were in the neighborhood all the time, just somewhere in the side street, but it looks like mass migration.

Does anyone count it on their World lists?

I don't so far.

Andy

Don't need to as I've seen wild ones in western Scotland - but if I hadn't, I would, just the same as I've got Common Pheasant on my world list without having been to see them in the Caucasus or China. Or Red-legged Partridges in Spain. :t:

I always include them. The problem with making lists (eBird is strongly encouraging us to abandon putting x for numbers) is that counting individuals is time-consuming and the result not rewarding (useless). Whole flocks may be just on the other side of a building and you don't know, then next time they fly this way and you record a much greater number. Today there were hundreds feeding on ground in one park (as I went by in a bus), leisurely walking around and pecking in the grass. Usually there is about two dozen perched on a building and half a dozen on ground. Of course they were in the neighborhood all the time, just somewhere in the side street, but it looks like mass migration.

Just estimate numbers and state that the figure is an estimate, I do!

I count them on my lists. They are just one more species to add to the list in my opinion. * I also count House Sparrows, European Starlings and Ring-necked Pheasants on my lists as they are all established wild populations here.

* I have no comment on distinguishing a racing pigeon from a feral pigeon!

I count them on my lists. They are just one more species to add to the list in my opinion. * I also count House Sparrows, European Starlings and Ring-necked Pheasants on my lists as they are all established wild populations here.

Exactly but,
I know that most Brits including me, don't record them at all, home or abroad so why?

Andy

Are we speaking of pigeons or non-native, wild-existing birds in the area?

Count or do not count, I believe it is up to the individual to do whatever one wishes to do.

Going back to the original bird - it's carrying a few rings, which suggests to me it's a racing pigeon - i.e. a bird that someone 'owns' and looks after, so not countable.

Feral pigeons live in the wild and have self sustaining populations, so could be counted if you wanted to. I do - to me it's no different from counting pheasant, little owl etc. I guess that you can't have it both ways though and shouldn't count wild rock doves as different species.

I don't know whether to add it or not. Fingers crossed I will see a bonafide Feral Pigeon in the remaining days of 2015. Surely I must have seen one on the patch this year but I have no record and I haven't consciously added it to the patch list.

Basically I'm on 97 Species and I'm trying to claw my way to 100.

I don't know whether to add it or not. Fingers crossed I will see a bonafide Feral Pigeon in the remaining days of 2015. Surely I must have seen one on the patch this year but I have no record and I haven't consciously added it to the patch list.

Basically I'm on 97 Species and I'm trying to claw my way to 100.

Dunno where your patch is, but around here, it's very hard not to see several feral pigeons flying around, unless it's night time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back