• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common and Soprano Pipistrelles together? (1 Viewer)

Capercaillie71

I was out in my garden this evening recording a couple of bats flying around the trees. On analysing the recordings it seems that both Pipistrelle species (45kHz and 55kHz) were present together and I only saw two bats (one of which looked a little smaller than the other).

Is it unusual for the two species to forage together, and if not what is it that separates the ecology of the two species?

Attachments

• Pip45kHz.jpg
    Pip45kHz.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 55
  • Pip55kHz.jpg
    Pip55kHz.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 57
45's tend to be associated with trees and woodlan and 55's with water features like rivers ponds and lakes.

Personally i've recorded both species together many times so it's not too unusual.

Are there any water features near you place.

Also see you are in Aberdeenshire, are you a member of the north east scotland bat group?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back