• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed on Black-headed Gull read (1 Viewer)

Lee C

Hi all

I found a Black-headed Gull bearing a metal ring at Dawlish Warren NNR, Devon recently.

In fading light managed to get a full seven digit read, certainly wasn't a British ring. All seven digits were of numbers that started with a 3.

Wasn't able to read the smaller inscription on the top of the ring to make out the Country concerned.

Therefore I'm asking is anybody out there with some knowledge on metal ring numbers able to help me find the birds country of ring application.

I can't submit my sighting on EURing, for the simple reason is you must quote a country of the scheme which I obviously don't know right now.

Am hoping somebody out there can shed some light for me.

Lee C

I recently read a six figure BHG ring and just filled it in on the standard BTO form. where it asked for scheme I just put 'other' and explained in the box.

Not heard anything back though, but I live in hope.

Lee I will be around Dawlish September 3rd and 4th - might bump into you this year.

Steve

Hi Kevin/ Steve

Thanks for you help.

Steve, hopefully we'll finally meet, not sure if I'll be down on the 3rd, but defo on the 4th.

Lee

Hi all,

Beware, since a few years, metal rings on BHG can also start with a 2. These rings are visibly smaller (6,25 mm) than the formerly used 7 mm rings.

Date

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back