• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-tailed Eagle (1 Viewer)

Read your earlier post which comments that you do not report sightings on line! !! As for your eagle now understand to be a hoax involving the usual suspects. Shame as a big bop would have been popular with a number of Durham listers. Oh well there is always waxwings!

Michael A's ealier post states he does not report sightings online (this may or may not be true, i don't know, i don't even know the guy), he does not say he never goes online or uses the internet! Or have i got this wrong?

Ian.

He says he does not report sightings online and then reports a sighting of a rare bird on a online birding forum. Anyway does not really matter!!!

In post 2 i think Michael A was responding to a request from Andrew Kinghorn not reporting a sighting? Anyway as you say it dont matter one jot either way, i just thought it odd you asked him to explain himself...

Ian.

Agreed Ian. Just a shame that these North East hoaxes continue.

Luckily the info services of RBA, Birdguides and Birdline Northeast are alert to the potential of hoaxes and many/most get filtered out before hitting the pagers. If the hoaxer is stupid enough to use the same mobile number, then its easy to discover, but text messages from new numbers with made up names still clearly pose a problem. Its a real shame for the people who spend their money driving to look for these birds or taking days off work. No idea how someone would get their kicks from it.
As to the eagle, who knows what the true situation was. Maybe Michael A's bird was a White-tailed Eagle, maybe it was the escaped Steller's Sea-eagle at large again, or maybe it was someone flying their pet raptor from the nearby Beamish Bird of Prey centre. No-one will be sure and no-one had a chance to confirm. One to now forget about.

As a footnote, Birdline NE received another report following these W-t Eagle claims. A juv Bald Eagle! Blimey, the north-east is a fine hot-spot for large raptors. Trouble was, the mobile number had previous form...

Mark

Whether you keep a list or not don't you think other observers would like to know about the presence of a bird like this? Altruism is supposed to be widespread in our species

You might not twitch yourself but surely you can grasp the idea of sharing sightings so others can benefit? Or do 'others' simply not come into the equation as there is no benefit to you? You are on BF so must feel some part of a birding community do you not? :smoke:

Sorry, but I do not get, and never will, why some people keep their sightings quiet. It might be their right to do so but I'm so glad only few others have your approach to sightings which I see as a bit selfish.

B :)
Read your earlier post which comments that you do not report sightings on line! !! As for your eagle now understand to be a hoax involving the usual suspects. Shame as a big bop would have been popular with a number of Durham listers. Oh well there is always waxwings!
I saw what i saw, but folks can believe whatever they want. I won't loose sleep over it. I did not post the sighting just confirmed that i saw Eagle (not my Eagle don't have one) high over Lintzford. A Waxwing for you. (I think!)

Luckily the info services of RBA, Birdguides and Birdline Northeast are alert to the potential of hoaxes and many/most get filtered out before hitting the pagers. If the hoaxer is stupid enough to use the same mobile number, then its easy to discover, but text messages from new numbers with made up names still clearly pose a problem. Its a real shame for the people who spend their money driving to look for these birds or taking days off work. No idea how someone would get their kicks from it.
As to the eagle, who knows what the true situation was. Maybe Michael A's bird was a White-tailed Eagle, maybe it was the escaped Steller's Sea-eagle at large again, or maybe it was someone flying their pet raptor from the nearby Beamish Bird of Prey centre. No-one will be sure and no-one had a chance to confirm. One to now forget about.

As a footnote, Birdline NE received another report following these W-t Eagle claims. A juv Bald Eagle! Blimey, the north-east is a fine hot-spot for large raptors. Trouble was, the mobile number had previous form...

Mark

I just want to make one last comment on this thread.
I was travelling towards Rowlands Gill on 1.12.2012. on passing Lintzford saw large bird high in sky flyin s.s.east with large wingspan. Wings more square than e.g. a Buzard. (I see Buzzards and Red Kites almost every day).
On hearing that a White Tailed Sea Eagle had supposedly been seen, in good faith i mentioned this sighting on bird forum. I accept if you put unusual sightings on the forum you unfortuneately get some members replying with some not to clever comments. It doesn't bother me and if i see something out of the ordinary i will now post it.
Anyway Merry Christmas to all.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trampsandhawkers

Last edited:
Michael. In the circumstances I mistook you for one of the hoaxes that unfortunately operate in your region. In retrospect that was harsh on my behalf. Apologies. Have a good Xmas.:cat:

Well that's all ended in a very respectable manner, always nice to see that when people have been mistaken that they actually have the decency & manners to say so.

All the best, all!

Mark

That is possible; I've seen a African Sea Eagle in Beamish which was followed shortly by a group of people from the Bird of Prey centre trying to get it back. It would have been easy for somebody to see the same bird from a main road which runs from Gateshead to Stanley without seeing the falconer and others trying to catch it. From that distance it would have been easy for somebody to assume that the bird was wild as they wouldn't be able to see people below the tree line.

Also, on the hoax front, is it not possible for some to make genuine sightings and then for hoaxers to lie about seeing the same bird?

I just want to make one last comment on this thread.
I was travelling towards Rowlands Gill on 1.12.2012. on passing Lintzford saw large bird high in sky flyin s.s.east with large wingspan. Wings more square than e.g. a Buzard. (I see Buzzards and Red Kites almost every day).
On hearing that a White Tailed Sea Eagle had supposedly been seen, in good faith i mentioned this sighting on bird forum. I accept if you put unusual sightings on the forum you unfortuneately get some members replying with some not to clever comments. It doesn't bother me and if i see something out of the ordinary i will now post it.
Anyway Merry Christmas to all.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trampsandhawkers

Hi michael
Just had report of an escaped golden eagle in the derwent valley around the time of the chopwell eagle sighting, the falconer recovered the eagle after it was hit by a car on fellside :-( this was maybe the eagle first reported on birdline over chopwell woods?
Merry xmas
Steve

Hi michael
Just had report of an escaped golden eagle in the derwent valley around the time of the chopwell eagle sighting, the falconer recovered the eagle after it was hit by a car on fellside :-( this was maybe the eagle first reported on birdline over chopwell woods?
Merry xmas
Steve

Thanks for the info Steve
Merry Christmas to you and good luck for birding in the New Year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back