• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (33 Viewers)

Continental coal tits

Anyone know much about occurrence of cont. coal tits in Norfolk, are they annual? Are they rare? After seeing 2+ at the hills on Monday we caught and ringed one at Waxham yesterday.

Also, noticed the lack of news coming from Blakeney on monday - 'fall day', Penny mentioned someone had seen some redstarts on the way out but given that every other site had birds, I wonder what Blakeney produced?

Dave

Last edited:
Anyone know if the Warham RBfly has been seen yet this morning?

Nothing on the pager yet.

Before this attracts another barrage of comments, I hasten to add that this should in no way be construed as a comment on any photos of gulls recently posted here. I personally find these attempts to Sabotage someone else’s records distasteful- unlike most fruit salads.

(In any case, the 3rd shot from the left in #17531 clearly shows the bird to have hybridised with either terns or gannets.)

What an interesting comment!

Anyone know much about occurrence of cont. coal tits in Norfolk, are they annual? Are they rare? After seeing 2+ at the hills on Monday we caught and ringed one at Waxham yesterday.

Also, noticed the lack of news coming from Blakeney on monday - 'fall day', Penny mentioned someone had seen some redstarts on the way out but given that every other site had birds, I wonder what Blakeney produced?

Dave

This may be of interest (from Kent OS website)
----
Coal Tit Parus ater ater - The subspecies occurring in Britain is britannicus . Continental Coal Tits are regular visitors to Kent, especially in autumn, when occasional large influxes take place. It is thought that this form is too common for entry onto the KOS description list.
----

I will have to look up the differences as I'm not familiar with them (features that is)... Presumably overlooked but have never seen (any) Coal Tits on Blakeney Point for example

Dave

As Joe is currently in Malta I'd imagine no news will be forthcoming.

With regards to the ID conumdrum

Common gull & R'ousel would be my guesses.

Re: Honey buzzard photos from Norfolk: Here's an immature Honey seen over Watton on 22nd September, I'm sure the finder won't mind me posting it.

Attachments

• IMG_2653.JPG
    IMG_2653.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Lift wanted to Cleveland!
I would have been going Robert - but not going anywhere until I get my camera lens back:-C Currently being professionally cleaned and dried at Watton (see my blog) Might get it back late today, or maybe tomorrow or the next day:-C

Hope you get a lift, BUT I would go and see the possible PALLID SWIFT at Holme if I was you, that's just come up on my pager!!!!!!

Dave
Very good point Dave! I had heard that 'they' don't tend to put news out of birds eg like pied flys, redstarts and the like, but they DO put news out of any really good birds/megas, so I presume they didn't have anything mega on Monday! Pity they don't put news out of more birds though, it would encourage people to walk the point more (possibly) and in turn find more birds for us all to enjoy. On that note I can't believe I have not walked BP yet this week. Just waiting for my lens to be fixed and there will be no stopping me!;)

Anyone know who saw the Greenish Warbler yesterday? (Dave N. asked this in an earlier post)

Penny:girl:

Dave A , continental coal tits were fairly regular in very small numbers in Norfolk a few years ago. I used to ring 2-3 some years , both on the coast and in inland woodland.

I was out working both on the coast and in the woods just inland and though there were a number of pied flycatchers and redstarts plus odd winchat about there seemed to be few rarer birds compared to other parts of the coast. I suspect the main fall was on the central and western Norfolk coast. I did find one red breasted flycatcher close to the coast road that delighted in flitting to and fro across the bonnet of my car between some pines and a hedge while eating lunch. But the star birds of the day were the large numbers of ruff and a group of 9 white wagtails feeding on a flooded meadow. Some of the males were stunning.

There were ruff moving through all morning ( yesterday ) and recorded 41 at one site. It was very noticeable how most of the redstarts and flycatchers had moved off the coastal hedge along the greens to the woodland a short distance inland within an hour of two of sunrise. The other thing of note was the huge numbers of gulls , mainly black headed but also common , herring and lesser black backed ,coming in off the sands before sunrise. I must have seen in excess of 10,000 coming up one of the larger creeks. This morning only a fraction followed the same flightline so they must have been passing through.

Easy, just park up at the pad on garden drove and stroll down the lane until you hit the copse at the north end, I think it's been in there today, you can't miss it, its got a bright orange throat, one chap said he almost thought it was a robin !!
park here and then walk to here

Dave - I saw my first Sab's Gull in Ecuador !

Talking of record shots, see if you can tell what this bird is

Looks like a 2c/y bowling pin to me, or if size wasn't apparent when you saw it ...could be the London gherkin. ;)

Honestly: I have no idea how the filters in Irfanview alter things: it seems that 'colour enhance' is quite a crude tool that affects the image in lots of ways. David: I really don't mind whether people like my pictures or not: I've never submitted any for publication or anything, and have only put them on here for information. I do find it ironic that some posters never commented about the good, clear and significant pics I put on here of birds like 'our' Turtles and Redstarts or interesting images of the flora & fauna on my blog (many of which are really quite unusual) Incidentally: if you enlarge the 'enhanced' image, you can see a dark tail tip....

Excellent Redwing shot :).

A slight raising of the pulses when a small locustella flew from the grass at the side of the track into thick bramble cover never to be seen again. However, although views brief, fairly sure nothing more than a very wet and bedraggled grasshopper.
Mick

I wonder... ;)

EDIT: Same goes for Dave_As post.

Last edited:
Excellent Redwing shot :).

It is an excellent Redwing shot, but I am a little confused as to the context of the picture and its posting at this time.

Far fewer birds on the coast today (as expected). A couple of Redstart, a few Wheatear and a couple of days old rarers. Noticable were the larger number of Meadow Pipits, though, and sporadic movements of hirundines.

Maybe worth a look at the sea tomorrow?

Happy birdingo:D

Ids Please 2nd Attempt

Dave,
Thanks
I'll try again with the biggest file I think I'm allowed.
Please notice beak colours on the juv bird.

Attachments

• Q600DB2782 (800x533).jpg
    Q600DB2782 (800x533).jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Q600DB2871 (800x533).jpg
    Q600DB2871 (800x533).jpg
    232 KB · Views: 113
  • Q600DB2875.jpg
    Q600DB2875.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 91
Would like to be able to see the images larger but they look to me like 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls and a Great Skua.

Will be interesting to see if someone can turn them into Sabine's Gulls ;)

Wasn't as sure on the gulls. The mantle colour of the second bird looks good for Yellow-legged, but with no comparison, I would bow to Dave's greater experience.

Nice pic of the Bonxie (Great Skua)!

Dave: Naughty, naughty!
Did you look at the 'buzzard'?!?

Dave,
Thanks
I'll try again with the biggest file I think I'm allowed.
Please notice beak colours on the juv bird.

The gull in flight is not a juv but 2nd/3rd win bird and thus the bill would fit LBb Gull, as does what I recall of underwing pattern (although Collins isn't very good at underwing pictures!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back