• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice re. extension tube for Canon 35-350mm lens. (1 Viewer)

STS

I'd like to get an extension tube to put between my 30D and my old 35-350 EF 3.3- 5.6, for photos of insects. Canon do a 12 and a 25mm; Kenko do a set: 12, 20 and 36mm. Any thoughts as to which size would be of greatest use to me? TIA

All they do is add air to the setup - so kenko and canon will give identical optical performance - the difference is that canon make you pay more than double the price of the kenkos - so go for the kenko brand ones.
I have a set and they are well built and have the all important electical contacts so that you can control your lenses aperture and also retain your cameras auto metering system.
There are very cheap sets (£5) on ebay which are slightly weaker in build quality and also don't have the electrical contacts - so there goes metering and aperture control! They are not worth considering

I use a set purchased from Jessops - Jessops own make and they work fine.
Don't know if they still sell them but maybe even cheaper than Kenko, as mentioned earlier, all they do is add space between the lens and camera so shouldn't affect the IQ.

I also use a Jessops own brand set (Canon AF) and they work fine. A while ago they were selling them off for £20 a set of three, not sure if there are any still knocking about, if so then they make even the Kenko tubes look expensive.

I also use a Jessops own brand set (Canon AF) and they work fine. A while ago they were selling them off for £20 a set of three, not sure if there are any still knocking about, if so then they make even the Kenko tubes look expensive.

I am pretty sure there are none around of Jessops, I remember when I wanted some Roy you mentioned it then, but they did not have any at your prices.

Also for teleconverters go with Kenko STS.........

Also for teleconverters go with Kenko STS.........
I think this depends on the lens you would be using it with. With my 70-200 and 400/5.6 there is not a lot to choose between the Kenko Pro and Canon but I have heard people with lenses like the 500/4 who says that the Canon is distinctly better.

I appreciate what you say Roy about the other expensive lenses £1000s, and if you can
afford them prices, you can afford another £100 for Canon spacers and teleconverters.

Thanks for all advice. I checked and Jessops no longer do their tubes, so I'll probably go with the Kenko set.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back