• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow nest in garage (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

First time I have lived anywhere good enough to have nesting swallows and have a bit of a dilemma.

Previously they nested in our garage as the previous owner left the door open. We now lock the door so was wondering what to do.

Options I have considered are to break one of the small windows or cut the top off the door. Is the something less radical I could do??

Cheers, Marcus

First time I have lived anywhere good enough to have nesting swallows and have a bit of a dilemma.

Previously they nested in our garage as the previous owner left the door open. We now lock the door so was wondering what to do.

Options I have considered are to break one of the small windows or cut the top off the door. Is the something less radical I could do??

Cheers, Marcus

If they have been used to entering at the door I would feel that the best solution would be a hole in the door.

I have seen Swallows fly at full speed through a hole the size (or perhaps less) of a cat door (obviously with nothing to inder progress). This was in a similar situation - farm building door now needed to be closed. A u hsape was cut in the top edge of the door.

Sorry I can't think of anything less radical.

I have a pair of Swallows near me, that arrived back yesterday. Last year they nested in the garage of a house that was being renovated but this year the work is complete. Hopefully my pair will find somewhere suitable nearby as there are plenty of spots for them to nest.

CB

Me too. When the house was put on the market the agents must have closed the garage door and one of the first things I had to do was remove two dead adult swallows and a nest of dead chicks out to the bin.

I only hope some newcomers find it this year

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back