• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Night Owl 7 x 45B T*P* (1 Viewer)

42za

Hello All,

I have the opportunity of buying one of these , is this binocular worth buying , and what would a fair ballpark price be.

I have not yet seen the binocular , but the seller assures me that it is in almost new condition.

Thanks.

Cheers.

This binocular has been discussed here before.

Isn't it very heavy and cumbersome?

It may be almost new because of this?
I haven't handled one so I don't know.

But if cheap enough!

Regards,
B.

There are a used pair up on an auction site for around £900 at present. Another pair described as mint for £850 on sale in the UK. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
42za, post 1,
I recently tested it, the results are on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
It is a heavy binocular, bright image, the focussing wheel is wide, but certainly with gloves it can be difficult to move.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hello All,
...is this binocular worth buying?

I have one, and in my opinion the view is excellent. I believe it has the same optical design as the 7x42 Victory FL, which superseded it. It is a bit heavy at 1.2Kg, but I think it's an excellent binocular.

One sold here recently for approx. ZAR 10750.00.

If you have the use for one and want one then buy one!

HTH, regards, Steve

I have always been tempted buying one, but I feel it can only serve as a binocular for someone who spends a lot of time hunting from a fixed position, or watching hummers from their porch,...
It is just too heavy to walk around with and bird the whole day, so I can't justify buying. I have seen those for approx 6-700 euros 2nd hand.

FWIW, while we are on the subject of the Zeiss Night Owl 7x45B T* B* we should note that Jerry Liguori, the author of "HAWKS AT A DISTANCE, IDENTIFICATION OF MIGRANT RAPTORS,"(published 2011; Princeton Univ. press) wrote at page 8 in the chapter on "OPTICS FOR HAWK WATCHING." "I have used Zeiss 7x45 Nightowls since they were introduced in 1994 and still love their sharpness and unmatched wide field of view. However, I acquired Zeiss Victory FL binoculars in 2008 and believe they offer the finest image available."

He notes that "there is no single binocular best suited for hawk watching. In a nutshell, most 7x (magnification) binoculars offer a wide field of view while 10x binoculars offer added magnification. Regardless of the power, beginning birders should equip themselves with high quality binoculars."

Bob

PS: I suppose that means he carried those 42 ounce binoculars around with him while researching North American Raptors for for 14 years!o:D

PPS: And with that hi-impact plastic Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL he replaced it with in
2008 which had the new FL Glass in it one can argue that he ended up getting "more for less!
:king:

Last edited:
Hello All,

Thanks for the responses , I went ahead and bought the 7 x 45 Night Owl.
The binocular is in pristine condition and appears to not have been used at all , it came boxed with all original paperwork etc..

This binocular is superb , both optically and in mechanical construction.

Everyone appears to be of the opinion that this binocular is excessively heavy , but I do not find this to be the case at all , it will be easy to get used to it.

I now own a "Classic Zeiss" :t: :king:.

Cheers.

Hello All,

Thanks for the responses , I went ahead and bought the 7 x 45 Night Owl.
The binocular is in pristine condition and appears to not have been used at all , it came boxed with all original paperwork etc..

This binocular is superb , both optically and in mechanical construction.

Everyone appears to be of the opinion that this binocular is excessively heavy , but I do not find this to be the case at all , it will be easy to get used to it.

I now own a "Classic Zeiss" :t: :king:.

Cheers.

Congratulations! This is an heirloom grade piece of optics, the last Zeiss that still used lead in the prisms formulation and the widest field 7x that Zeiss produced (151 meters at 1000 meters).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back