• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goshawk [didimus] (2 Viewers)

john trevor

Accipiter fasciatus is found here in the Otway Ranges in Southern Australia.Accipiter fasciatus didimus is found in Northern Australia. Can anyone tell me why Gregory Mathews chose the word "Didimus" when he first described it. Thanks, John Trevor

In a Novitates Zoologicae journal (v. XXII, 1915) Hartert & Rothschild guessed didimus was "Probably misspelt for didymus" And didymus is Greek for twin. Thomas the Apostle is called Didymus by the Greeks.

Last edited:
John - you may already know all this, but Mathews described didimus in the Austral Avian Record, a self published journal that is in relatively few libraries. While I have never looked at it, I know that one of the early issues contained over 200 new bird names. I saw a recent publication which speculated that one of the new genera he named at some point was actually an anagram of his name, which suggests he didn't always give the etymology of the new names he was coming up with.

I note there is also a didimus subspecies of Musk Lorikeet, also named by Mathews.

In a Novitates Zoologicae journal (v. XXII, 1915) Hartert & Rothschild guessed didimus was "Probably misspelt for didymus"
Well, in England, 'diddy' is an informal word for small, and didimus is a small race.

But I hear that in Australia, 'diddy' means the same as 'dunny'...

Richard ;)

"diddy" an informal word for small.

Well, in England, 'diddy' is an informal word for small, and didimus is a small race.

But I hear that in Australia, 'diddy' means the same as 'dunny'...

Richard ;)
Thank you ,Richard. I've never heard that word.Seem logical. Thnks John Trevor.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back