• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White vs Pied Wagtail (1 Viewer)

Eildert

I photographed this Wagtail in Rhenen, The Netherlands. It seems to have characteristics of both White Wagtail and of Pied Wagtail (yarrellii). Or is there another subspecies involved? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• _DSC1478 2.jpg
    _DSC1478 2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 187
did you notice (or photograph) its rump colour? otherwise look pretty good for a (pure) yarellii, at least to my eyes.

Lou,
I think I'm right in saying that yarellii occurs in small numbers in the coastal hinterland from northern France to Friesland, but the ornithologists at Wageningen close to Rhenen probably have the latest distribution info.
MJB

it's probably the brownish-grey paler scapulars and poss. also on lower back that are disturbing. they are just old (juvenile or last year feathers?) while the rest seems to show renewed feathers.
yes, mjb, they occure from normandy to adjacent holland and some hybridization also is going on as well. but i tried to comment the photo, in which i don't see anything of the rump, thus the question.

Yarellii?

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for all your help! Unfortunately the only looks and pics I got were in this position; I never got a look at the rump! As I don't live in the Rhenen area, I also don't know how rare yarellii is over there. I have seen them before in the Netherlands though. However, this bird still doesn't necessarily strike me as a pure yarellii - hence the question about a possible hybrid.

It is a 1st summer yarrellii in my opinion. No reason to think it is an intergrade. Here is a photo of a similar bird taken by me on my patch in early May this year.

Cheers

Roy

Attachments

• P1320090 - Copy.JPG
    P1320090 - Copy.JPG
    625.5 KB · Views: 61
Wagtail

Hey Roy,

Thanks for your reply and your picture. They do indeed look very similar! I guess the overall lighter impression on my bird is due to the fact that it is photographed from underneath, and yours from above. But objectively, I can't see much difference either. Perhaps my bird looks marginally lighter/browner on the mantle and the shoulder?
I'll go with yarellii though. Didn't know they occurred that far inland - and in a forested area as well!

Eildert

What month is this wagtail taken?
In this pic it looks older than the suggestion given above due to darker primaries and primary coverts. The outer greater coverts is perhaps not seen here. A 2cy bird (if taken reasonable early in spring), would show brownish primaries, primary coverts and a few outer greater coverts and perhaps the upper tertial. If this is correct, the bird migt be an adult (2cy+), female Pied, reasonable dark foreflank.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back