Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

July Moths

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 05:53   #1
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.
 
JWN Andrewes's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Flintshire, UK
Posts: 4,812
July Moths

First session with no ticks! A decent number of moths though, for here at least, with 55 of 24 species, the pick being my first Garden Carpet in a while, a Yellow-tail that actually showed a bit of yellow tail, and who can tire of Peach Blossoms? No doubt the boys will grip me off with something I've overlooked while I'm at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8858.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	731113  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8929.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	731114  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9000.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	731115  
__________________
Last Lifer - (2325) Eastern Black-eared Wheatear.
Last UK - (463) Eastern Yellow Wagtail.
Last North Wales - (254) Great White Egret.
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
JWN Andrewes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:20   #2
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
First session with no ticks! A decent number of moths though, for here at least, with 55 of 24 species, the pick being my first Garden Carpet in a while, a Yellow-tail that actually showed a bit of yellow tail, and who can tire of Peach Blossoms? No doubt the boys will grip me off with something I've overlooked while I'm at work.
Glad to hear you're back at work! (In a good way that is.)

One can tire of other people's Peach Blossoms....

Cheers

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:44   #3
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.
 
JWN Andrewes's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Flintshire, UK
Posts: 4,812
Cheers.

Forgot to mention, although no new moths a small flock of Crossbills calling overhead as I sorted through the trap was a garden tick!
__________________
Last Lifer - (2325) Eastern Black-eared Wheatear.
Last UK - (463) Eastern Yellow Wagtail.
Last North Wales - (254) Great White Egret.
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
JWN Andrewes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 06:52   #4
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,863
Technically, tonight is the first trapping session in July as far as I'm concerned.

Garden Carpet is irregular here too now, another Coronet last night, a really, really good year for them and a Ruby Tiger was NFY with Poplar Kitten being a full tick, if verified.
__________________
Andy A

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 07:46.
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 09:02   #5
Jabberwocky
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Technically, tonight is the first trapping session in July as far as I'm concerned..
This is the correct way to record moths, always use the date when the trap is set, not when the moths are identified. Some details here.
http://www.mothscount.org/text/68/what_is_a_record.html
Jabberwocky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 09:28   #6
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.
 
JWN Andrewes's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Flintshire, UK
Posts: 4,812
OK, cheers, intuition let me down on that one, apologies. I will adjust my records for submission accordingly and avoid this mothing etiquette faux pas henceforth.
__________________
Last Lifer - (2325) Eastern Black-eared Wheatear.
Last UK - (463) Eastern Yellow Wagtail.
Last North Wales - (254) Great White Egret.
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
JWN Andrewes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 10:28   #7
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
OK, cheers, intuition let me down on that one, apologies. I will adjust my records for submission accordingly and avoid this mothing etiquette faux pas henceforth.
Just a question then, if you attended the moth trap before midnight and then left it unattended until the morning, would you record moths on two dates, either side of midnight?

As Jabber says, dates should be according to when the trap was set but I suppose it's a technicality and wouldn't make a great deal of difference but it's no doubt just aiming for uniformity.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 11:21   #8
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.
 
JWN Andrewes's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Flintshire, UK
Posts: 4,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Just a question then, if you attended the moth trap before midnight and then left it unattended until the morning, would you record moths on two dates, either side of midnight?

As Jabber says, dates should be according to when the trap was set but I suppose it's a technicality and wouldn't make a great deal of difference but it's no doubt just aiming for uniformity.
I've tended to count everything on the date on which I process the contents of the trap, given that whatever I find before midnight is then outnumbered by whatever is on the wall or in the trap the following morning, and I can't be doing with splitting the count, but that was a fairly arbitrary decision, and given that there is a consensus for dating as per the setting date I will do that in future. Also, I will tend to be conservative in my counting, so if a Peppered Moth comes in at 11:30, bips about a bit and then flies off, and then there are two on the wall in the morning that will count as two, not three.
__________________
Last Lifer - (2325) Eastern Black-eared Wheatear.
Last UK - (463) Eastern Yellow Wagtail.
Last North Wales - (254) Great White Egret.
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
JWN Andrewes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 15:51   #9
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire
Posts: 4,694
This morning's catch (correctly attributed to June 30th) included my first two Small Blood-veins, Single-dotted Wave and Poplar Grey for the year. The Poplar Grey was my first for three years - no Poplar trees anywhere near me.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Lister : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 17:22. Reason: To keep Mr Adcock happy.
Steve Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 16:43   #10
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
This morning's catch (correctly attributed to June 30th) included my first two Small Blood-veins, Single-dotted Wave and Polar Grey for the year. The Poplar Grey was my first for three years - no Poplar trees anywhere near me.

Steve
Northern or Southern race....
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 19:31   #11
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 14,935
While I recognise the advantages of uniformity for official recording I'm going to stick with revealing Moths after they've been revealed to me, which happens in the morning. So to avoid at least some controversy, last night's catch included two NFY: Swallow-tailed Moth (2 of) and a runt which I am choosing to call Lesser Common Rustic on the basis of size and pattern.

Heart and Dart's 10 individuals exceeded Heart and Club's 6: 2 Elephants, a Silver Y and a Grey Dagger well to the pale end of the spectrum were pretty much best of the rest.

Hoping the showers are about finished, it seems to be warm and humid so quite hopeful for tonight.

Cheers

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 20:07   #12
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
While I recognise the advantages of uniformity for official recording I'm going to stick with revealing Moths after they've been revealed to me, which happens in the morning. So to avoid at least some controversy, last night's catch included two NFY: Swallow-tailed Moth (2 of) and a runt which I am choosing to call Lesser Common Rustic on the basis of size and pattern.

Heart and Dart's 10 individuals exceeded Heart and Club's 6: 2 Elephants, a Silver Y and a Grey Dagger well to the pale end of the spectrum were pretty much best of the rest.

Hoping the showers are about finished, it seems to be warm and humid so quite hopeful for tonight.

Cheers

John
You may find this of help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_the_variations_of_mesapamea_secalis.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	731166  
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 20:50   #13
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
You may find this of help.
Depends how you define help....

Seriously, thanks. Small as it was, Common Rustic agg and I'll wait for a black one.

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 12:25   #14
Rubia
Registered User
 
Rubia's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Herts
Posts: 202
Just realised it's July (posted this on old thread, doh!).
First night in a while as less wind and rain. 92 moths of 38 species. The only new moth was a Small Ranunculus, the last moth I came to in the trap, it took a while to spot the yellow spots in the grey. Nicer looking moths included 4 Small Blood-vein, 2 Elephant HMs, Beautiful Hook-tip, Swallowtail, Purple Thorn, Scalloped Oak and Small Waved Umber. Numbers went to Garden Grass-veneer 19, Dark Arches 8, Common Footman 8 and Heart & Dart 8. Aggravating still that I've not had a Buff Ermine at all.
Rubia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 12:59   #15
honeym
Registered User
 
honeym's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Depends how you define help....
Seriously, thanks. Small as it was, Common Rustic agg and I'll wait for a black one.
John
Over the years since the discovery of two species within what was Common Rustic we've had several people studying the forms and all that can be said is that all variants occur in both species to a greater or lesser degree. Whilst there is a tendency for small black specimens to be didyma it's not a definitive character as a similar form also occurs in secalis. The only safe way is to dissect, or at least examine the male genitalia. That way you can establish that both, or one, or the other, occur in your area. If not, then just record as Common Rustic agg.

Last edited by honeym : Thursday 2nd July 2020 at 13:04.
honeym is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 16:30   #16
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Over the years since the discovery of two species within what was Common Rustic we've had several people studying the forms and all that can be said is that all variants occur in both species to a greater or lesser degree. Whilst there is a tendency for small black specimens to be didyma it's not a definitive character as a similar form also occurs in secalis. The only safe way is to dissect, or at least examine the male genitalia. That way you can establish that both, or one, or the other, occur in your area. If not, then just record as Common Rustic agg.
Well, given that as a hobbyist I'm not going to kill and cut up moths, I'll just go with that tendency at some point. The more so since I don't submit records so won't pollute anyone's database. I'm sure Andy will keep me somewhere near the straight and narrow on ID.

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 16:40   #17
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Well, given that as a hobbyist I'm not going to kill and cut up moths, I'll just go with that tendency at some point. The more so since I don't submit records so won't pollute anyone's database. I'm sure Andy will keep me somewhere near the straight and narrow on ID.

John
Something of a Sisiphean task I fear
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 20:21   #18
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 14,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Something of a Sisiphean task I fear
Should keep you occupied then....

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 2nd July 2020, 21:14   #19
Allen
Registered User
 
Allen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 638
Any ideas on this one please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200701_202148.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	731240  
__________________
Allen

"You should have been here 5 minutes ago"
Allen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 04:43   #20
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,863
Worst night ever, zero months, had me shaking my head, until - I saw that the light had not been plugged in, aaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggggg........................
__________________
Andy A

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 3rd July 2020 at 14:24.
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 07:18   #21
Rubia
Registered User
 
Rubia's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Herts
Posts: 202
Turning on the light certainly helps but it wasn't a spectacular night last night for numbers (in fact so slow I gave up at 12:45). However, it did produce some mothing gold for me in the form of an Oak Eggar that arrived around 5 minutes after I started. What a moth! Like a Jumbo jet had arrived and very beautiful. 2 other garden ticks - Cream Wave and Beautiful Golden Y. 2 Brown-tails, 1 Elephant HM and 2 Swallow-tails. Chrysoteuchia culmella the big one at 12 and 7 Common Footman.
Rubia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 07:26   #22
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,863
Common Footman seems to be having a very good year here too.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 07:41   #23
honeym
Registered User
 
honeym's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Any ideas on this one please?
Possibly a male Heart & Club, Agrotis clavis. A bit difficult to be certain as it's blurred from the moth's vibration (the other option would be a Turnip, Agrotis segetum).

Last edited by honeym : Friday 3rd July 2020 at 07:45.
honeym is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 15:54   #24
Surreybirder
Ken Noble
 
Surreybirder's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lingfield Surrey
Posts: 8,396
Blog Entries: 1
I'm not as active as most on this forum but I've found a couple of nice moths in daylight during the last couple of days. If my ID of Dasycera oliviella is correct (I'm waiting to hear back from my country recorder), it will be a new one for me and quite possibly for South-East Surrey.

Post Script - CR confirms ID and says it's only the second modern Surrey record. The larva feeds on rotting oak (and a few other trees). I wonder whether having a log-pile in our garden, which we've had for several years, attracted it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dasycera oliviella ex IMG_2330.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	731294  Click image for larger version

Name:	swallowtail moth ex IMG_2257 (800).JPG
Views:	11
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	731295  

Last edited by Surreybirder : Friday 3rd July 2020 at 15:59.
Surreybirder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 3rd July 2020, 17:08   #25
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreybirder View Post
I'm not as active as most on this forum but I've found a couple of nice moths in daylight during the last couple of days. If my ID of Dasycera oliviella is correct (I'm waiting to hear back from my country recorder), it will be a new one for me and quite possibly for South-East Surrey.

Post Script - CR confirms ID and says it's only the second modern Surrey record. The larva feeds on rotting oak (and a few other trees). I wonder whether having a log-pile in our garden, which we've had for several years, attracted it?
Very nice, I rarely look at Micros twice unless they look like this!
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
July Moths robhope Butterflies and Moths 21 Monday 28th August 2017 16:16
July Moths GB&I smokenack Butterflies and Moths 60 Wednesday 10th August 2016 10:30
july moths dave123 Butterflies and Moths 124 Thursday 1st August 2013 11:18
July moths Surreybirder Butterflies and Moths 123 Wednesday 1st August 2007 20:43
9th July moths Surreybirder Butterflies and Moths 2 Sunday 11th July 2004 18:37



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.20927191 seconds with 40 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:47.