• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Birds Have Returned... For Now. (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum,

Well, after two days of heavy rain over the weekend and now, 6" of snow since last night, my birds have returned for easy food. This morning I've had chickadees, nuthatches, downies, hairies, evening grosbeaks, pine grosbeaks (which I though were gone for the season!), purple finches, and (finally!) juncos. The snow is still coming down with no end in sight so I'll have to make sure the feeders are topped up.
Ahh! Spring in northern Ontario! 8-P

Oh you poor thing. 6" of snow and it is almost May. Just how long is your spring and summer once it gets there?

Janie, the juncos are having a grand old time in the 10" of snow we got today. I've made sure they have all kinds of food so they're well taken care of. I'll send them back good and chubby! ;)
KC, we're normally into full fledged spring by now but this winter has been crazy. It hit early... we were snowmobiling in November! And now it just doesn't want to quit. It's almost -5°C right now and dropping but at least the snow is finally tapering off. I think!! We normally officially call it summer by June 1st but then it's right into fall by mid-September. Usually have our first snowfall by Sept. 20th! Of course, it doesn't stay until around the end of November.
Sure did have the birds here today though. For the first time, I actually saw juncos using the feeders! I have never seen that before. I step outside and all I can hear are purple finches and juncos... it's quite wonderful! Aside from the *bleeping* snow!

Tammie I know how you feel, we had all that snow a week ago. Thank goodness its gone and we've had great temps. Tomorrow we're to get +20C. Yay! Everyday we're getting a new migrant back. Plenty of bald eagles in the last few days soaring on the thermals. I've been out checking to see all the feathers and really should post my travels/sights over the last few days.

Hi Eve,
We've been desperately praying for the temps you've been getting but no luck yet. -10°C this morning and windy! YUCK! We ended up with about 8" of snow yesterday after we almost got flooded out with two solid days of heavy rain. Our bush roads are a mess.... most are washed out. Might be stuck in here for couple of days! Good thing I stock the seed at this time of year! No lakes or anything are open yet so no water birds around. Still no robins either. My flock of juncos has definitely increased lately.... over a dozen yesterday, all twittering away! Wonderful! No sparrows or anything yet either. We're now down to one or two foxes from the six we were getting all winter. Haven't seen Buddy for a while. My whiskey jacks have disappeared. Can't wait for them to return in June... hopefully with lots of babies for me!! :)
I sure hope we finally thaw out here soon............

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back