• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultra high end rigs... (1 Viewer)

Hey PM01,
I need your help. I recently ordered a FSQ106EDX for astronomy but I was thinking of trying it out for terrestrial use also. What do I need to buy to make it usable for terrestrial use ? Things like plates, screws and what not . What is the closest your FSQ can focus ? I have bought the task clamshell and it has only one tripod thread at the bottom, it seems scary that 9-10kgs of stuff is supported by only one short stud.

Joe - sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on the board in a while! The FSQ106EDX focuses in to about 30+ feet. You'll have to use extension tubes to bring that number down. The original FSQ106N fluorite went down to about 14 feet, longer focus tube helps.

The clamshell can be drilled out to hold M8 bolts. I had the additional holes threaded on the swiss arca plate that I use, that way 3 bolts are holding the clamshell to the plate, then to the JB Pro 2 gimbal.

There is another option - you can use dedicated tube rings for the Tak, I do believe they are 110mm in diameter. Might want to verify. You can take the two rings and then mount them up to a Bogen dual camera plate, 1/4x20 bolts. The center bolt can be threaded to the swiss arca. You still have to drill / thread two more holes next to the center hole. Match them up to the clamshell and you have a very stable platform.

PM01

Joe - sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on the board in a while! The FSQ106EDX focuses in to about 30+ feet. You'll have to use extension tubes to bring that number down. The original FSQ106N fluorite went down to about 14 feet, longer focus tube helps.

The clamshell can be drilled out to hold M8 bolts. I had the additional holes threaded on the swiss arca plate that I use, that way 3 bolts are holding the clamshell to the plate, then to the JB Pro 2 gimbal.

There is another option - you can use dedicated tube rings for the Tak, I do believe they are 110mm in diameter. Might want to verify. You can take the two rings and then mount them up to a Bogen dual camera plate, 1/4x20 bolts. The center bolt can be threaded to the swiss arca. You still have to drill / thread two more holes next to the center hole. Match them up to the clamshell and you have a very stable platform.

PM01
Thanks pm01

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back