• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best birding around orlando (1 Viewer)

joespy

Taking the g/kids to Disneyland Florida next Easter thought I'd take my gear. Can anyone advise of best birding spots around Orlando or near...Regards Joe

Taking the g/kids to Disneyland Florida next Easter thought I'd take my gear. Can anyone advise of best birding spots around Orlando or near...Regards Joe

High Joe. There is loads of information on the Florida thread below. Keeping close to Orlando I would suggest you visit Joe Overstreet Road, St Clould (Kissimmee). This is a dirt track that leads to Lake Kissimmee from where you can see Bald Eagles, Crested Caracara, Sandhill Cranes and loads of other birds.
Nearby East Lake Tohopekaliga is good for Snail Kite and Limpkin.

Merritt Island is well worth a visit for many species including Black Skimmer and Florida Scrub Jay.

There are many other birding sites in A Birder's Guide to Florida (2005) by Bill Pranty, published by the American Birding Asociation, Inc.

The great thing about Florida is where ever you go, there is always wildlife to see.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Hey Yorkie was over your way t'other day but missed the Bitterns...saw some photos later they were belters, wish I'd seen them live..never mind.. BLNT...Regards Joe

Thanks Mike..is that the best book for the area..I need to get one soon....Joe

I found it very useful, especially when combined with recent trip reports and tips from this Forum.
A small number of Forum members either live in Florida or spend alot of time there. I have found them very helpfull for advice. No doubt they will pop up soon.

Mike's advice above is sound - the Pranty guide is the bible. Get it from the ABA and you'll never be more than a few minutes' from somewhere good.

Canoe Creek Road (CR-523) has several good sites on its western side, including as mentioned Joe Overstreet Road and landing. A couple miles further on, Three Lakes WMA has excellent diversity of species and habitat.

There's nothing much at those places to entertain kids, though, so if you want a combi- day out, head to the coast where they can wander around the beach - try Merritt Island on the Atlantic coast or Fort de Soto on the Gulf. These are probably day trips, though, depending on where you are staying. I'm on US-27 right in the center and it's 73 miles to Merritt and 85 to de Soto from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back