• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Warbler (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Nice treat this morning. Whilst waiting for the morning feeding frenzy to end so I could mow the grass, and watching Great, blue and coal tits zipping across the garden my attention was caught by a small yellow bird in an apple tree. Luckily, binoculars to hand I watched as he flew onto the kids' swing. There I had a lovely view of its olive-brown back, clean, pale yellow chest and belly and bright supercilium. He stayed there and flew off after about 10 seconds. I could not make up my mind between willow and wood warbler at first but now believe it was a juvenile willow.

I do not get many warblers in my garden, blackcap and goldcrest is about it, so a nice start to the day.

Rob

Nice one Rob, I'm the same - I've never had a Willow in my garden, only Blackcaps and Goldcrest regularly, and Chiffchaff just the once so know how you feel!

Ben

Does sound like a juvenile Willow Warbler.

Incidentally, for some strange reason it's very unusual to see a Wood Warbler on migration unless you live on the coast - and even then you don't see too many.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back