• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

curlew or whimbrel (1 Viewer)

andygolfer

andygolfer
I'm not sure how to tell the difference, I've spent the evening reading topics and I'm still undecided so who can tell me - is this a curlew or whimbrel (i'm tending towards the latter). I saw it on Fuerteventura last week so not local I'm afraid.

and whilst I'm in the asking mood confirmation of the 3rd as a berthelot's pipit and that the 4th is simply a turnstone (I didnt realise they went that far south) would be very much appreciated - many thanks

Attachments

• 7447.JPG
    7447.JPG
    836.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 7449.JPG
    7449.JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 8041 berthelots pipit.JPG
    8041 berthelots pipit.JPG
    764.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 8105 turnstone.JPG
    8105 turnstone.JPG
    776.3 KB · Views: 119
I'm not sure how to tell the difference, I've spent the evening reading topics and I'm still undecided so who can tell me - is this a curlew or whimbrel (i'm tending towards the latter). I saw it on Fuerteventura last week so not local I'm afraid.

and whilst I'm in the asking mood confirmation of the 3rd as a berthelot's pipit and that the 4th is simply a turnstone (I didnt realise they went that far south) would be very much appreciated - many thanks

Whimbrel. :t:john and berthlots

Yep, Whimbrel (and correct on other two also).

Short, gently decurved bill, but the strong crown stripe also the give-away. Size and jizz fully Whimbrel too.

Saw a couple overwintering on Teneriffe beaches a few years back - very approachable too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back