• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID in flight - Brooksville, Florida, yesterday (1 Viewer)

I have never heard them called "sawbills" in the field. In the U.S., if people need to refer to the subgroup, they say "mergansers". "Ducks" would also be perfectly acceptable.

Though they are sawbills I've never known anyone in the field in the UK call them that either.

What do you call them out as then, in the instant before specific ID, not ducks?

I've usually always seen them in totally different habitats, though appreciate they can overlap, especially up north. I've usually called them as either merganser or Goosander.

For over 30 years I lead coach trips for a natural history society with often over 40 birders + not once do I recall anyone say they "had a sawbill!"

I've usually always seen them in totally different habitats, though appreciate they can overlap, especially up north. I've usually called them as either merganser or Goosander.

For over 30 years I lead coach trips for a natural history society with often over 40 birders + not once do I recall anyone say they "had a sawbill!"

You seem to be preoccupied with what I call them rather than whether they're called as ducks which was the original point, do you call them as Ducks or not?

Last edited:
You seem to be preoccupied with what I call them rather than whether they're called as ducks which was the original point, do you call them as Ducks or not?

Yes I do call them ducks because that's what they are; sawbills is just a tribe of ducks; just like I might say dabbler or diving duck.

I'm not really concerned what you call them just pointing out your obviously incorrect statement saying they weren't ducks!

To add to this rather bizarre debate...... We're currently in the enviable position of having some Goosanders on our local pond. It's a patch tick for me,and a big hit with local non-birders in the park. I have found myself alerting locals to their presence by saying "Have you seen the the unusual ducks that are on the lake at the moment? The Goosanders?" Interestingly, not one of them has responded with "They're not ducks you idiot, they're sawbills." :smoke:

Sorry Andy, really didn't mean to offend, and certainly didn't think you were calling anyone an idiot. Please don't read more into this than there is.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back