• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peanut Feeder (1 Viewer)

gjfernandes

I've been experimenting with different feeders and feed at my ranch house in north east Texas. We have good natural habitat that attracts many old friends, but I've wanted to add some diversity. At first I was a little shocked at the price of peanuts but gave them a try despite the cost. The results are gratifying. Downy, Hairy, Red Bellied and Red Headed Woopeckers along with Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers and Norther Flickers. Cardinals, Titmouse, Carolina Chickadees, Red Winged Blackbirds and even a few Juncos prowling below the feeders picking at the bits and pieces. In addition the good news is that I have to fill the peanut feeder much less frequently, so I'm guessing the cost per day is about the same and maybe less.

Anyone else with similar experiences with peanuts.

I feed peanuts in the shell to both Blue Jays and American Crows. Its great fun to watch the Jays check the weight of the shells and select only the heaviest. While the Crows grab the peanuts and arrange them on the ground so they fit the max amount in there mouths.

I've been thinking of trying out un-shelled peanuts. What kind of feeder do you use?

I too have to fill my peanut feeder less often. My thinking is that it takes fewer peanuts for the birds to get their fill. Consider the size of a BOSS...shell and all. It takes up a similar amount of space but they are actually eating a much smaller nut. Whereas if you are feeding just the peanuts ( no shell) it is all food. So it would take less for a bird to get their fill. Just sorta my way of looking at it.

I am assuming you are using the a peanut feeder which has the small cage tube. That can also make a difference as there are only certain birds that can utilize this type of feeder.....whereas a hopper feeder with BOSS can support almost every type of bird.....thereby increasing the amount taken from those feeders.

Nice picture Steveo, thanks for the info. Thats the type that I've been thinking of using.

The price sounds right, what does the rest of it look like?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back