• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Behavior (1 Viewer)

ragebot

This question may be in the wrong place, so feel free to move it.

I am basically a photographer who likes to capture images of birds. At one of the photography forums I read there was a question about how crows behave. Some one saw a dead crow (hit by a car) in the road and three crows were sticking around the body and making a lot of noise. Some posters claimed the three live crows were mourning over the dead one, while others said the three were just looking for a meal.

I dont know all that much about bird behavior, but was under the impression that birds dont have the same feelings as humans. Can someone clear this up for me?

Could be that it was a sibling or more likely a parent bird that was killed. This would cause some consernation and the famliy may stick around trying to get the downed bird to to get up and moving untill it was obvious that nothing would make a diffrence and they move on. Im not saying it happens every time but it does happen and in diffrent spiecies as well.

Hi I watch Elizabeth Biggs Bluetit web cams, this year was a disaster for the bluetits, two broods of ten eggs hatched and all were dead inside two days. They still are not sure why this occured, but feel a shortage of catterpillars was possibly the cause, the birds would have needed to collect 8000 in order to bring the broods to fledging.
Both females were young and in-experienced, they both continued to bring in food long after the dead chicks had been removed. But they also spent time at the nest site looking lost and it was a sad sight to observe, perhaps they do not feel in exactly the same way as humans, but I believe they do have a sense of loss and also of success.

Interestingly the Greattits in the same area bred their brood successfully.

Yours PeterK

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back