• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rufous or Allen's hummingbird? - So. Cal. (1 Viewer)

dant1999

I saw this bird in the Los Angeles area this morning. Is it possible to tell if this is an Allen's or a rufous hummingbird? I know that females are extremely difficult to distinguish, but I wasn't entirely sure if this was a male or a female. It didn't seem to have the dark throat that males of either species have, but I also thought that females of either species should have mostly green backs, but this bird doesn't seem to have much green at all. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• _MG_8252.JPG
    _MG_8252.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 89
  • _MG_8249.JPG
    _MG_8249.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 95
I believe this to be an immature male Rufous Hummingbird. Allen's will have green on the back, as will female Rufous. One note of caution, male Rufous can have green backs, making positive identification of an Allen's more difficult. I do not believe it works in opposite, though (rufous backed Allen's).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back