• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen-Ray full list of 15 so far plus a scope (1 Viewer)

I am having trouble with the link Tero. Did they introduce further bin models?

I know there was one scope the last time I looked but I was hoping for something in the $500-$600 range.

No, just the full sizes. The Summits will compete with the Diamondbacks.

ZRS (ZEN-RAY SUMMIT) 10x42 waterproof binoculars
$209.99

ZRS (ZEN-RAY SUMMIT) 8x42 waterproof binoculars
$204.99

I'm still most interested in a "Chinese ED" at 32mm or perhaps 36mm perhaps because I already have a few 32mm and would like the next notch up in view. Maybe later this year?

Not sure about the scope. Singular. The Promaster ED scope on 24hourcampfire was initially hoped to have the same jump as the Promaster ED bin but one review showed it to be rather mediocre and the interest died off. They could be good but it seems building a decent scope is more of a challenge than building a decent bin.

http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=191

Still it's 80mm so the exit pupil is a decent size.

But I guess this bit should go on the spotter subforum.

Last edited:
Not sure about the scope. Singular. The Promaster ED scope on 24hourcampfire was initially hoped to have the same jump as the Promaster ED bin but one review showed it to be rather mediocre and the interest died off. They could be good but it seems building a decent scope is more of a challenge than building a decent bin.

Kevin,

I read that review. The author didn't know how to test a telescope. The scope may be mediocre or that particular specimen may have been defective. The reader can't tell.

Henry

I have an older Vixen Geoma ED,not the PRO model,...It is as simple as it can get..Porro Prism design...I opened the thing to clean the prism assembly once...VERY simple design..Pretty good glass though...
How challenging ,or expensive,can be to make a good Porro prism scope?.Would it be harder to make, than a good pair of porro binoculars...?
If Porro designs are ,presumably,easier and cheaper to build,and they have some advantages in optical quality,I wonder why not other small ED scopes (like the Nikon ED 50.A good seller ,and unique really ..If expensive!!!! )are being produced and sold at inexpensive prices..I would love one

There was two reviews of that scope there. One was far better than the other. Both reached the same conclusion. OK in the lower power range, not acceptable in the higher power range.

Yes, it's a hunting forum and as such not of a great deal of interest to many here. It's contentious at times, and binoculars and spotters form a small part of the discussion. However, I will state that after many years of both birding and hunting, the hardest questions I have to ask my binocular to answer come while hunting, not birding, and by a considerable margin.

How challenging ,or expensive,can be to make a good Porro prism scope?.Would it be harder to make, than a good pair of porro binoculars...?
If Porro designs are ,presumably,easier and cheaper to build,and they have some advantages in optical quality,I wonder why not other small ED scopes (like the Nikon ED 50.A good seller ,and unique really ..If expensive!!!! )are being produced and sold at inexpensive prices..I would love one

most of the spotting scopes are based on Porro design. Very few are actually built on roof prisms.

There was two reviews of that scope there. One was far better than the other. Both reached the same conclusion. OK in the lower power range, not acceptable in the higher power range.

Yes, it's a hunting forum and as such not of a great deal of interest to many here. It's contentious at times, and binoculars and spotters form a small part of the discussion. However, I will state that after many years of both birding and hunting, the hardest questions I have to ask my binocular to answer come while hunting, not birding, and by a considerable margin.

Steve,

I was referring to the "far better" one. So, counting the "Mystery Scope" review there were two reviewers who didn't know how to test a telescope.

It's a shame when the initial impression of a product can be determined by two guys who don't know what they're doing.

BTW, I hope no one is watching when you are interrogating your binoculars (and getting answers!). ;-))

Henry

The straight versions of the Kowas, Swarovkis and current Nikon Fieldscopes and many other straight scopes use Porros. The entire Pentax line, old Leica 77 and 62mm and smaller Kowas straight and angled use Porros. Among straight scopes only the Zeiss Diascopes, Meoptas, the not yet available new Leicas and Nikons and a few others use roof prisms.

Just look for the presence or absence of eyepiece off-set on any straight scope.

Last edited:
I think this has been argued here recently. Most are roof prism errectors these days.

Can you cite the porro designs you know?

No, I don't. I got the impression that scope with eyepiece/objective lens offset is Porro prism, like binoculars. I could be wrong though.

I remember seeing in Bushnell's catalogue that they advertise Nature view straight scope as new one with roofprism. So, I assume all other traditional shapes use Porros.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/spottingscopes_natureview_78-1645.cfm?section=GPS

Steve,

I was referring to the "far better" one. So, counting the "Mystery Scope" review there were two reviewers who didn't know how to test a telescope.

It's a shame when the initial impression of a product can be determined by two guys who don't know what they're doing.

BTW, I hope no one is watching when you are interrogating your binoculars (and getting answers!). ;-))

Henry

I do sometimes talk to my equipment, so far it does not talk back. I really listen too, sometimes I need all the help I can get. Sometimes when the question of "what is that?" is asked we have to be content with silence as the suitable reply for "sorry, I don't know what that is".

Alright Steve, you are scaring me.

;)

In the earlier discussion, was it focusing around the single spotter that they have listed on their website or am I missing something?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back