• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Telephoto Lenses (1 Viewer)

kchiasson

I would like to buy a telephoto lens for my Canon 60D. Here are some options that other birders have mentioned where I live.

Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5 - 5.6 IS USM

Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM - use with TCs

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM (used) - Even though this is the pricest, I could manage the cost and have read other people use this one with TCs

Sigma APO 300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM - can this one be used with TCs

Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

So many choices - makes for even more confusion. I would like to spend my money wisely without the worry of possibly wanting to upgrade in the near future. I have a friend who recently traded in their lenses for upgrades.

Thanks in advance for any input.

KC

With Lenses it is more often than not spending more does make a diffrence and from what you have listed the Canon 300f2.8 is L is the best and with tc's you have quite a range to play with without loseing much IQ.

Rob

You missed out on the 400mm 5.6L USM. Delightful little lens, decent reach, fast AF especially for BIFs, takes Kenko DGX TCs that can still AF, sharp and IMHO very good value for money.

300 F2.8 all the way! I used to own the 100-400, love my 300 F4 IS, recently tried the Sigma 150-500 and did extensive tests with the Canon 400 F5.6.
The 300 F4 and 400 F5.6 Canons are truly excellent lenses for the price and can do well with the 1.4 extenders.
I recently (3 months ago) bought a Canon 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1 and there is no comparison.It gives me a simply stunning 300mm, an excellent 420mm F4 and a surprisingly good 600mm F5.6 with 1.4Mk2 and 2 x Mk3 extenders.
I have compared my 300 F2.8 + 2 x extender to my 600 F4 IS and whilst not as good it is VERY far from shabby.
If you can get the cash together for the Canon 300 F2.8 IS just do it!

The 300/2.8 is a cracking lens. Not only with a 1.4x or 2x tc as already mentioned but also is it usable with stacked converters when you have decent light and are reach limited. These are all taken with a 300/2.8 IS MkI + 1.4x tc MkII + 2x tc MkII giving 840mm to give you an idea. When you stack converters like this the Camera only sees the 2x tc so thinks it is still 600mm f5.6 so will even AF on a non 1 series Camera like the 7D, albeit that AF can be slow.
Of the lens mentioned I have only used the 300/2.8 IS MkI and the 400/5.6 extensively and as a comparison I would say that the 300/2.8 + 1.4x tc is about as good as the bare 400/5.6. but the IS of the 300/2.8 will allow you to shoot at slower shutter speeds than the 400/5.6 when hand holding and of course it is a stop faster at f4 with the 1.4x tc on.
BTW I should mention that you cannot stack the Canon MkIII converters like you can the MkII's (unless you use an extension tube between the two)

Attachments

• tufted x 840mm.jpg
    tufted x 840mm.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 74
  • tuft1.jpg
    tuft1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Coot3a.jpg
    Coot3a.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Hi KC

Have had all of the above apart from the 50-500os and would go for the 300f2.8ISL in a heartbeat if you can find a decent used copy of the mk1 version. The mk2 version is reckoned to be better in every way but is crushingly expensive (here in the UK at least). The 300f2.8ISL mk1 takes a Canon x2 mk3 TC VERY well and if stopped down a third gives fantastic images IMHO.

Good luck with your selection.

Best wishes.

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back