• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EOS 1D mK2 a good buy? (1 Viewer)

Jay23

I'm, seriously contemplating adding a second body to my 30D and am of course tempted by the 40D, however, for a little more I could get a secondhand 1D mk 2. It would I think AF with my 456 and a 1.4 teleconverter, no pins to tape etc.
I'm not concerned about the 8.2 mp but my question is: How does the noise compare 40D vs 1 D mk 2 at say, ISO 800?

Any comments appreciated.

Chris

I can't say what the comparison would be as I haven't used a 1D but here is a pic of mine at ISO3200 with the 40D.
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/161806/ppuser/58604

Its not just extra MP in the 40D, its a faster dual processor with 14 Bit decoder which will give you smoother graduations of colour, 3 custom setting menus that let you preprogram your preferred settings for common shooting situations, eg birds in flight, macro etc., live view, auto focus search off which stops the lens from hunting which is great especially for in flight shots, and lots of other beaut little improvements.

Hope this helps

40D vs 1D mk2

The way I am looking at it is that the 1D Mk2 is clearly better in many respects than the 30D and, mpixels and 14 bit colour notwithstanding, must also be better than the 40D in a number of significant respects.
Until the 1D Mk3 was released, the Mk2 (n) was the absolute bogs dollocks. I know is a 1.3 crop but after endless lens changing frustration this morning down at Cuckmere Haven ( 456/ 24-105/150mm macro) I am determined to get a second body and I know the 40D is an attractive proposition but that weatherproof ultra durable build, 8,5 fps etc is certainly a draw towards the 1D2. And of course a 2nd hand 1D2 is still more expensive than the 40D.
If you were offered a new 40D or a good example of a used 1D 2 for the same price, which would you take?

Well,

I have been toying with same issue for ages and best I could come up with is..

1D2n has better AF performance, but 40D is better than my 20D. 40D probably handles high iso noise better than 1D2n.

Overall IQ is probably very similar - and as you say I doubt you will find a used 1d2n for same price as a 40D.

I think I would go with a 40D - newer technology etc but it's a close call and I can't convince myself either way.

Good luck with the decision and let us know how you go on.

Cheers

Rob

he says 1dmk2 Not N but there's little diffrence if any in IQ between them,
the mk2 shutter will last about twice the 40d,s so if around 50/60,000 you would still be winning also the mk2 is far more resistent to water/dust .
in a well exsposed shot between the mk2 and 40d at iso 800 i dont think you would see much diffrence up to say A3 above that the 40d might pull ahead .
Just my thought's.
Rob.

If you were offered a new 40D or a good example of a used 1D 2 for the same price, which would you take?

The 1D2 without hesitation! It is like comparing apples and oranges...the 45 point AF system on its own would win me over without considering bullet-proof build, 8 fps, unbelievable battery life, etc, etc...

Got to be the MK2, don't forget that until the mk3 came out this is the one everyone was raving about its still a dream camera to many photographers (like myself) the way things are going at the moment with new technology everything is getting faster etc and in time the prices drop after 6 months on most new designs? your best bet is to wait 6 months and pick up a Mk3 at a much lower price than they are now.
For example i wanted a dvd projector and decided to wait approx 8 months and the model i was after dropped to 75% of the original cost! bargain or what?
Hope you get sorted out ok.
Cheers
Brian

Ta for the comments, and despite my being veeerrry tempted by those shiny new 40Ds and having a slight detour via the possibility of a secondhand 5D which would be fine for my std zoom and probably amazing for macro, it's the build and the AF apart from the other advantages that have swayed me towards a 2nd hand 1D2. Theres some interesting examples on ebay however, I'm off to India for seven weeks on Friday morning and so it will have to wait until I'm back.

Chris

My mind is made up....

My trip to India is coming to an end and I'll be back in the UK for four weeks over Christmas.B :) Then it's back to India including ten days in January photographing birds in the Ran of Kutch. I've been agonising over the 'second body' decision and even the 'should I invest in glass instead?' question. These are the conclusions of my deliberations.
More glass - like a 500/4? Tried one the other day and couldn't believe the size and weight of the thing, incredible! I'm sure it's amazingly sharp etc but no way could I cart that thing round all day, I'll stick to my little 456 thank you!
40D? Very nice and takes very nice photographs also, I know theres a debate about noise and even colour vs the 30D but I'm now sure in my own mind after spending time with a variety of 40D - toting photographers in a variety of environments that the 40D does produce fabulous looking pictures - which brings me to the 5D. I've also been photographing alongside a friend with a 5D and (IMHO) WOW! Something special going on there because the photographs look 'alive' to me compared with the XOD series.
Then theres 1D series: No way can I afford a 1D3 :C especially not as I am leaving again for India early Jan and theres not that many Canon service centres where I'm going! So its back to..... The 1D2n and the deciding factor is the rough use and harsh environments my camera(s) get treated to - Humid Jungles, dusty (very) deserts, bumpy roads, clambering up and down rocky footpaths etc - I need piece of mind and I think that right now only the 1D2n can give me that. In fact if it were no better than the 30D IQ wise, the strength and environmental sealing alone would clinch my decision. So I now have to procure a 1D2n in the next five weeks - Anybody out there in the UK who's 1d2n needs a good home? PM me!

if its really the N you want carn't help but if the 1dmk2 will do iv just put mine in the forsale section .
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back