Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kaleidoscope software

Old Monday 3rd April 2017, 09:38   #1
scodger

Kaleidoscope software

Hi

Anyone have any experience of this for bat ID, particularly the latest version, I'm thinking of buying the new Echo Meter 2 to connect to my iphone and this seems to be the software sold with it

Any thoughts anyone

Thanks

David
Old Monday 3rd April 2017, 22:34   #2
Julian Perry

Hi David,

I can't answer your question but just wanted to say I am thinking of buying the new Echo Meter Touch 2 Pro myself for a forthcoming bat survey, so am also very interested in any replies about the Kaleidoscope Software your post generates.
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 11:16   #3
Murray Lord

I too am thinking about the EMT2.

One interesting point for me, based in Australia, is that all the publications on identification of bat calls seem to have used Anabat detectors. So I think that in order to be able to compare an EMT recording to one made with an Anabat, I would need to import the recordings to Kaleidoscope and then convert to a zero crossing file. Does anyone know if this sounds correct? I know EMT and Kaleidoscope have automatic identification functions, but not for Australian species.
Old Tuesday 4th April 2017, 12:23   #4
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

One of the other BF members, Hermitibis, i think, found a software package called bat explorer

http://www.batlogger.com/en/real-tim.../software.html

It is designed for the bat logger hardware, but is free, and works ok on single files from other detectors. (I'm having fun with it using a ciel detector).
It has automatic identification which works reasonably well. I struggle with the auto-identification because a lot of my recordings are from remote sessions, so I haven't pointed the detector at the bat, and as a result, I'm often working with faint signals.
Old Wednesday 5th April 2017, 21:58   #5
scodger

Well i think I'll order the Echo Meter 2 and jump in, I think it's a case of getting in somewhere to some extent and
learning by trial and error. I suppose using other software will help confirm or otherwise species ID

I have recently bought some mixed deciduous and coniferous woodland, with a stream, woodland rides and an access road bordered by woodland so I'm hoping to pick up several species. if anyone is in North Yorkshire and is interested in helping out or offering some advice i'd be interested in talking

Thanks
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: