• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arctic or Pomarine Skua? (1 Viewer)

sjahanmi

Hi

Is this a Acrtic or Pmarine Skua? From a pelagic trip off Kerala, India

Attachments

• Artctic Skua.jpg
    Artctic Skua.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 239
  • Artctic Skua-001.jpg
    Artctic Skua-001.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Left bird is Arctic (needle-sharp tail point, fairly small bill). Right bird might be a Pom, given what appears to be a much heavier bill, but not the best of view angles.

Are you sure? This is not an adult, so I don't think we should ID it based on tail form only as it might be moulting. To me this looks like a third year bird. The white on the primaries' upperside is relatively small and on the lower side I think you can see the two white crescents. Also the bill looks pretty heavy and belly-heavy, don't you think?

Maffong

Are you sure? This is not an adult, so I don't think we should ID it based on tail form only as it might be moulting. To me this looks like a third year bird. The white on the primaries' upperside is relatively small and on the lower side I think you can see the two white crescents. Also the bill looks pretty heavy and belly-heavy, don't you think?

Maffong

I thought so as well. Here's a photo of a Pomarine with (seemingly?) very pointed central tail feathers.

www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=62853

Peter

I would go with Pomarine on first image as well. Double light crescent on underwing, looks quite heavy with wide wings, large breast band and pale based bill.

There are 2 different birds involved for sure as the second bird lacks elongated tail feathers among other things.

I am not particularly experienced on skuas (especially LTS) but I feel the first bird can't be a Pomarine as too many features speak against that option.It looks like an Arctic to me and I don't find the bill particularly impressive. On top of that I am having difficulties to see how those pointed tail feathers might belong to a Pomarine, the Pomarine linked to by Peter has its tail feathers twisted, yet they still look blunt-tipped to me. The dark cap is straight edged and mainly confined to the crown: it barely encircled the back of the eye and does not the reach malar area as expected for a Pomarine. At this point it would be usefull to rule out LTS too, I think that can be achieved by looking at the numerous white primary shafts, rather cinnamous tinged axilliaries, largely pale base to bill, not-so-solidly dark boa and untidy face pattern.

The second bird is, I think, a Pomarine with its strong bill, golden nape and well barred uppertail coverts.

Like Maffong and others I see a Pomarine here. The tail shape suggests Arctic but is hard to judge due to the angle and in any case the bird is a subad and in moult. It's hard to argue with the white primary coverts, this is a classic Pom character. The bill is strong and stout and the head profile is barrell-shaped, lacking Arctic's more snouty look to my eye.

It's hard to argue with the white primary coverts, this is a classic Pom character.

The white base to the primary coverts in indeed a classic Pom feature, though not 100% diagnostic as a tiny fraction of Arctic and Long-tailed may sho this pattern.
This Arctic is essentially similar in this respect: http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=937&Bird_Image_ID=51556&p=27

Beside, there is indeed kind of white flash towards the outer primary coverts but the pattern isn't so clear and if you check the inner primary coverts they clearly don't show a white base.

I think you might actually be right. now that I look at the pics again a Parasitic doesn't seem so wrong anymore. I had actually thought, that those tail feathers were not necessarily the long inner rectrices but could also be the outer ones. Now that I look at them again it seems I was wrong. The bill is dificult to judge from this angle and I wouldn't exclude either species on this picture. The belly-heavy look might as well be due to the angle of the picture and the crescents-feature is debunked by your pics, Tib78. The head pattern fits Parasitic better indeed.
I find it still easier to identify skuas in the field, where giss helps a lot, which is always difficult to judge on pictures.

Maffong

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back