• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Liaoning, Shenyang aka 辽宁沈阳 (2 Viewers)

Lancy, I'm just getting caught up on your posts here. The Swainsons/Hermit Thrush like call might have been a Radde's Warbler? Check out Radde's Song on xeno-canto. It's not a perfect match but that's the only thing that comes to mind right now. They tend to migrate through in the same migration time window as Korean Flycatchers as well.

Regarding Dollarbirds, a myna is the only other one it could be as Owen pointed out. Dollarbirds were locally common on their nesting/hunting grounds in Dalian so very possible in Shenyang. Flying high and your description sounds right. You would recognize a starling/myna as such I think.

Yes to Common Greenshank. The Tit is Willow or Marsh and good luck on the difference. Much of the literature on the internet refers to the European sub species of them. In Asia, they are much more difficult to distinguish, even with their calls. You would need very good photos and recording to sort it out. Also, the habitat it was in can be used to some extent.

Yes, Japanese White-eye is wild there. Chestnut-flanked White-eye is much more common. In the Dalian area the ratio was approximately 1:100 being Japanese, but they are there.

Good job on the Eurasian Cuckoo. Good luck distinguishing those from Eurasian without a call as well!

Tom

Thank you, Tom!
Shenyang birding was not planned. I didn't do homework for this area so just winged it. I will have to read and listen a lot when I am back home.
Thanks for pointing out the Chestnut-flanked White-eye. I assumed Japanese was the default species. They were indeed Chestnut-flanked. I could see the color in my poor photos.
Both Cuckoo species were IDed by voice. All the flying ones were calling. Both species are common in Dongling arae. I came back from a family party the day before and when I heard "one more bottle" I said to myself: I can't take any more!
Dollarbird is in good number in Dongling. They were very vocal that no one could ignore them. I obserbed them for a while and pretty confident that was what I had seen.
It's 4:00am and I am ready for my Panjin trip. Plan for today is to get registeted with police before checking Wetland park for two Gull sp. Fingers crossed!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back