• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albatross id please, NZ (1 Viewer)

Wiganlad

A still from video in Kaikoura in February. The dark cutting edge tells me Southern Royal but I am concerned about the amount of white on the wing.

Attachments

• albaprob.jpg
    albaprob.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 64
A still from video in Kaikoura in February. The dark cutting edge tells me Southern Royal but I am concerned about the amount of white on the wing.

That just looks like a gap between the edges of the bill and is nothing more than darkness, within the birds mouth?

Looks like a Southern Royal to me, no issue with the amount of white in the wing which can be almost as extensive in Southern Royal as "Snowy" Wandering. Bill and head shape look better for Royal than a Wandering-type to my eye also

Fairly sure the black cutting edge is real, stops on reaching the unguis as you'd expect from a genuine dark cutting edge. If it was shadow I wouldn't expect such a sudden contrast - there's no shadow in the gap between the ungues. You might be able to confirm for yourself with some more stills though?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back