• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

merlin (1 Viewer)

buzzardbill

Out walking in the Antrim hills in Northern Ireland i came across what i think was a Merlin, i did see one last year and this bird looked exactly the same although i had a guy with me to confirm it, but as i was by myself this time and was wondering if someone would describe the flying pattern and area i would spot a merlin this would help me with a positive ID on it as the spot all happened very quickly.

Low, fast and direct

Merlin's are usually found on moorland during the breeding season but tend to wander come the wintertime and can then often be found around coasts and estuaries. Their flight can best be described as purposeful, fast and direct. They often belt along a few feet above the ground in pursuit of small bird prey relying on dogged persistence to fly it down. They don't go in for stoops like Peregrines and lack the supple almost lazy agility of, say a Hobby. They don't really hover either.

They're fabulous little falcons anyway o:Dand bold enough to buzz a Golden Eagle if it intrudes into their airspace.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back