• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is a "dude"? (1 Viewer)

Bluetail

Senior Moment
Personally I think "dude" is a ghastly, patronising term and I rarely, if ever, use it. But how do you define it anyway? Is it someone who can't tell the difference between:

a) a Moorhen and a Coot,
b) a Melodious Warbler and a Reed Warbler, or
c) michahellis and cachinans Herring Gulls.

Or what? Apparently one birder once described it as "someone who has never twitched Ireland"!

Or is it not so much an insult directed at others as a claim of superiority by the speaker?

Jason

Dude, is this like, referring to something, or just a random question?

Anyway, to answer from my American point of view, I see several uses of the word "dude".

Replacing "man", "guy" or "person". eg. "That dude is stealing my binoculars!"
But it's not necessarily referring to someone in a negative way. It could be showing coolness as in, "That dude just saw a Gyrfalcon!". It seems more prevalent among young people, and is stereotypically associated with surfer/skater types, or those who enjoy marijuana.

Also can be used as a general exclamation with all sorts of implications: "Dude!"

And it also can be used in the place of "friend": "What's going on dude?"

I don't see it as an insult or claim of superiority. For me, I see many who use it trying to create a laid-back image and wouldn't want to make superiority/inferiority an issue.

If you use the word "ghastly" I would tend to guess that you wouldn't use the word "dude". But then again I speak American English so who knows.

As far as a typical dude's ID skills, I don't know that we can generalize.

For more research on "dude", check out films called "the big lebowski" or "dude, where's my car?".

Right on, Dude! I find your post, like, totahlly illumined, y'know? I mean, I think you must be educated to the max, like, in the way, you know, you just bring it. Like, you may do American English, but that doesn't make you, you know, like, an oxymoron in my books, Dude! Hey English, any part of "Dude" you still don't understand?
p.s. - ...And, if there is, you can rightfully assume all this banter is meant only in the very best of good fun, and, like, not to worry, Dude--you're a square John and that's Okay! This Strix, he's giving you the straight goods and that's no lie!

Last edited:
Jason,

I think it's mainly someone who doesn't put a rare bird before anything else in life!

It's certainly derogatory, although the recipient may take it as a back-handed compliment if they're not into twitching.

I don't think it's only twitchers calling non-twitchers, either. if you twitch a long-stayer about a fortnight after it turns up then I think you'd definitely qualify as a Dude!

Putting food before a rare bird could be described as a bit 'dude-ish' as well. Turning up at a rare bird site and eating your sandwiches before going for the bird is very suspect!

Years ago I went with several friends for a Great Spotted Cuckoo down in your neck of the woods at Dawlish. It's over 200 miles so not surprisingly some of my friends had a couple of sandwiches and a coffee before going for the bird - their 'reward' was distant scope-views only compared to the binocular and close-up scope views that the rest of us had - so there's something in it after all.

Strix said:
Dude, is this like, referring to something, or just a random question?
Hi Strix

Sorry - I should have explained. In birding circles over here "dude" is a term used to denote people who (in the opinion of the speaker) don't know all that much about birds.

Hi Adey

That's a slightly different slant which I hadn't come across. If that's the normal meaning these days, then it's changed its meaning subtly and is less insulting than it used to be. Gosh, Tim Allwood a dude?? Whatever next!?? (Sorry, Tim!)

I well remember the GSC. As you probably know you can still see it any time you go to Dawlish - in a glass case in the visitor centre!

Hi devon.birder

Certainly them too, but not only them!

Jason

Hi Jason

I don't do much twitching nowadays, either, so perhaps the meaning has changed without me realising.

I'm probably harking back to the 'good old days' a bit (getting dangerously close to another thread now!) when being on the grapevine sort of proved that you weren't a dude and one way of proving your credentials was to be on site at first light - or preferably just before - the inference being that dudes wouldn't have picked up the info that there was a rare bird around until later in the day.

Dudes, of course, only venture out after a hearty breakfast so it follows that turning up for a bird (no matter how far from your home) just as everyone else was coming away from seeing it was highly suspect!

I think that Tim might enjoy the 'back-handed compliment part of my earlier posting!

Jason, its none of those definitions for me...

Its someone who goes to see a Meoldious Warbler... looks at it... and then next year goes to see another one... then a year later.. sees another and still hasn't a clue why its not a Reed Wabler.

Its a state of learning ability not a state of base knowledge. Hence there are some huge listers who remain perpetual "dudes" in my book and some people who are just starting out and never have a phase of Dudishness!

As ever I have my own definitions and don't expect anyone else to agree with me.

Well I do!

Cheers Adey....like it B :)

a dude is anyone who'd go for a bird instead of watching/playing football - surely!?!? :eek!:

everyone root for Tranmere please or Jane will be in a foul mood all evening.... :C

Dude, wheres my car? absolutely b***dy awful film. I should have know it would be crap (didn't pick it when I went, yes actually went to the heap of purile p**s) I just new that it would be awful as I just can't stand that two dimensional (comedy actor?) idiot Sean William Scott. Bring back Bill and Ted anyday.......sorry, is this not the film review section?

steve_nova said:
Dude, wheres my car? absolutely b***dy awful film. I should have know it would be crap (didn't pick it when I went, yes actually went to the heap of purile p**s) I just new that it would be awful as I just can't stand that two dimensional (comedy actor?) idiot Sean William Scott. Bring back Bill and Ted anyday.......sorry, is this not the film review section?

Sweet dude!

Wow, im obviously mixing with the wrong people. I wasnt aware of the connotation of 'dude' over here in UK...amazing!

Must admit, i do prefer dudettes, though..... ;)

tracker

Gee, there's a lot of bad feelings in birding, over there. Maybe too much crowding. Strix's reply (second in) was really beautifully accurate, at least for NA. I have never been to a twitch, and I've never seen birders put one another down as in this forum. Strix's rendition is totally helpful, and you notice he dodges any kind of put-down at all. I have often been a harsh critic of my own NA culture, but birding in England sounds increasingly undesireable.

It's not all like this, Carson. Most birders here get along just fine, but as with any large group of people, there are always a few who backbite.

Jason

Hey Carson,

nah most birders are really nice people but of course they are just a cross section of society.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back