• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida 2015 List (1 Viewer)

After a late start this morning, was still exhausted from yesterdays trip. I went outside to hear a familiar sound and sure enough the first Purple Martin of the season was flying over the house. Always a welcome sight. After breakfast I talked my wife into riding an hour north to Brooksville area to look for a Brewer's Blackbird. Bird has been around awhile I just haven't had the ocassion to chase. The bird has been hanging around a boat ramp with a group of Boat-tailed Grackles. Well my luck continued. As we arrive two older gentlemen were feeding the Grackles. So spent some time checking each bird and finally located the Brewer's up in a tree. After a few minutes the bird flew to the ground for some good pic's and bird 180 for the year is in the books.

179 Purple Martin
180 Brewer's Blackbird Florida rarity

Also at the park we located several Clapper Rails (calling), Horned Grebe, Carolina Chickadee, Sand Hill Cranes and my wife even saw a manatee in the canal. Then off to meet my brother and sister-in-law for lunch. A good day all around

Cheers
Randy

Took today off from work to catch up on grading papers. Man it nevers ends. Heading out to Ft DeSoto Park about 1:30 today. More tourist than birds today. Wind kept a lot of birds in hiding. Did have some nice shorebirds but nothing new. Only new bird today was a Merlin that was eating a shore bird. Could not tell what kind of bird as it was too far off. Great Horned Owls are starting to nest but no luck locating the nest area. Will try again later in week. Rain returns, colder weather and wind. Till end of week weather not expected to be very good

181 Merlin

Weather is finally starting to improve. High winds finally layed down a bit starting on Friday. Heading out after work to Ft DeSoto to see what I could find. Did manage to finally locate some Great Horned Owls for my year list.

Today I headed north to Pasco County, about a 45 mile drive, in search of Ash Throated Flycatcher and Scissor Tail Flycatcher. Search was not in vain as we did locate a roost with Western Kingbirds and one ScissorTail. However, no luck on the Ash Throated. We checked quite a few orange groves without success. Not many Ash Throated reported in Florida this year. Off to Trilby Road for Burrowing Owls. Again success. Located two active nest and got good pic's of one Owl that was just off the road. Next stop Powerline Road in Hernando County, just a short drive north. Not much except Meadowlarks. The Burrowing Owls that had nested there in the past were not to be found. Only other bird's were a pair of Northern Harriers. As a bonus though we did find 12 American Pipits. As we were walking down a road off Powerline looking for sparrows the Pipits flew into a field next to us and close enough for pictures. Lucky find but I will take it. Sunday's weather supposted to be even better. Will see what we can find, hopefully a Swallowtail Kite. First few reported this week. A bird always worth seeing.

Friday 2/20
182 Great Horned Owl

Saturday 2/21
183 Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
184 Burrowing Owl
185 American Pipit

Cheers
Randy

Last edited:
Oops. Forgot to add Burrowing Owl Pic

Attachments

• 139 Burrowing Owl 2-21-2015.jpg
    139 Burrowing Owl 2-21-2015.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 46
Took a little break this morning and road my motorcycle (a Triumph of course) out to breakfast with a buddy of mine. After returning home I made a quick trip over to Sawgrass Lake Park. On arriving I took up station behind the visitor center hoping to catch a glimpse of a Dark Morph Short Tailed Hawk. It took about 20 minutes but it did appear. A lone Bald Eagle was flying over the swamp which I knew would trigger a response from the Short Tail. Sure enough up he came to drive the eagle off. The Short Tails have nested at this location now for several years and looks like they may again this year. If you happen to be in Pinellas County for migration and need a Short Tail this is a good place to try. It's only about a 20 min drive north from Ft DeSoto Park. You need to be at the park at 9:00 and simply walk up and down the canal behind the visitor center (very short walk) watching the sky. The birds will typical leave roost between 9 and 10 to go hunt for the day. Both Dark Morph and Light Morph are possible. Swallow Tail Kites will hopefully nest at the park again this year. So just one bird added today to year list

186 Short-tailed Hawk

Weather to turn poor again this week so not sure how much i will get out. A few more migrants starting to trickle in so who knows what may show up.

Back to work in the morning. :C No time for work, birds to chase

Cheers
Randy

Saturday we set our sights on heading down to Florida Keys to search for the Black-faced Grassquit. This would require a grueling one day trip. So up at 1:30 a.m. and heading out the door a 2 a.m. with my 2 friends in tow. In front of us lay a 6.5 hour trip to the Bahia Honda Key. The best part of leaving so early is we get through Miami why there is little to no traffic. Not the case on the return. We arrive at Bahia Honda at little after 8. Lucky for us, and others, the bird had been returning to the same location behind a bath house daily. An sure enough about 20 mins after we arrived the bird showed up to feed. Life bird for me and Florida Lifer for my friends. Next stop was to the other end of the park to serach for a Bananaquit that was found originally the same time as the Grassquit. This one would not be so easy. So with at least a dozen or more birders seraching the area we never were able to locate the bird. It had last been seen two days earlier. So we decided to head up to Long Key and see if we could find the Key West Quail Dove that had be resighted that morning. It was late morning before we arrived at Long Key and was starting to get hot. We staked out areas and waited for close to 2hours. As temp's and humidy rose we fiqured the birds were probably up on roost and decided to go for lunch and head back north. On our way home friends from Tampa called. They had returned to Long Key late afternoon and did locate the Dove about 5:40 p.m. An awesome birthday gift for our friends girlfriend. It was their 4th trip to Keys looking for the bird. After a somewhat quick stop for a milkshake at "Robert is Here" in Homestead area we headed north on the Florida Turnpike. And of course we ran into a major traffic backup that wasted about 45 minutes to get through. Finally free to traffic we picked up I75 North and decided to try for the Smooth Bill Ani that had been sighted off Government Road. As we drove north the rain clouds were building and on arrival to the location the clouds opened up. Oh well, thats how it goes. Back on the road we had to drive through some nasty storms but finally arrived home a 8:30 p.m. A looonng day but a good one. Am going back to Miami the end of March for a few days so will try for the Ani on way down if still being reported. Did add 5 birds to year total so it's all good.

187 Magnificent Frigatebird
188 Great Crested Flycatcher Bahia Honda SP US-FL
189 Northern Parula Bahia Honda SP US-FL
190 Black-faced Grassquit Bahia Honda SP LIFE BIRD Florida Rarity
191 Black-throated Blue Warbler Long Key SP

Cheers
Randy :t:

Attachments

• 146 Black-faced grassquit 2-28-2015.jpg
    146 Black-faced grassquit 2-28-2015.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 44
After last weekends marathon trip decided to just hang around the local area and do a audobon walk on saturday. How fortunate I did. Weather was lousy, overcast, misty rain, windy. A prefect day to blow in swallows and boy did it ever. Our monthly walk is at Boyd Hill Nature Trail which is on Lake Maggorie. As I arrived our President told me loads of swallows were found on other side of lake so off i ran. As I arrived several others were already on site. Large numbers of Tree swallows swarming over lake. Along with a possible record number of Cave Swallows for our county. I counted 4. Others who moved around the lake counted up to 15. You have to understand when we get cave's it's only usually 1 or 2 at most so this was outstanding. Also in the mix were Barn's and Northern Rough Wing. Back to the park and the wind and rain kept everything in hiding. Later in afternoon the skies cleared a bit so off to Sawgrass Lake Park. The Swallow-Tail Kites have returned for the 3rd year in a row and are mating so should nest again. Woo-hoo. I did manage to see my FOS STK before leaving the park. Went back this morning and found the pair so got a few distance shots along with a Dark Morph Short Wing Hawk that will nest in park again this year. A calm weekend at home and it's just what I needed after a long week at school. Three weeks till spring break and I am off to spend a few days in Miami chasing South Florida raities and exotics. Cant' Wait.

Additions to year list

192 Barn Swallow
193 Cave Swallow
194 Swallow-tailed Kite
195 House Finch

Cheers
Randy

Attachments

• 147 Cave Swallow  3-7-2015.jpg
    147 Cave Swallow 3-7-2015.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 150 Swallow Tail Kite  3-8-2015.jpg
    150 Swallow Tail Kite 3-8-2015.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 51
Well nothing exotic to report today. Started the morning at Ft DeSoto looking to see if any migrants had maybe blown in. And there was none. Was a bit dishearting to locate a Northern Gannett that was inshore and obviously in distress. The bird was not well. Hopefully, the park service personnel were able to capture it.

But did add two new year birds.

151 Common Tern
152 Red Knot

This afternoon my wife decided we should drive 2.5 hours north to Cedar Key to meet a friend for a early dinner. I figured what the heck maybe I will find a Seaside Sparrow. As we arrive at Cedar Key the wind is really blowing so of course no sparrows. But I did luck out and find a large flock of American Avocet on the flats right next to the road. Had to be at least 50. Largest number I've every seen in Florida. Only seen those kind of numbers in California. I our area if we see 10 total in season we are lucky. So added bird

153 American Avocet.

Will be heading out local in the morning. Will report if anything good comes of it.

Cheers
Randy

Well it looks like spring is moving in.

Day started off overcast and foggy when I reached my first spot of the day near Brooker Creek Park located in North Pinellas County, FL. Only new bird of day at that location was a Barred Owl calling in the distance. Not much else was moving around. So went and checked a couple of other close by spots before heading into the park itself. Was there about 20 minutes when the sun broke out and the birds began to get active. Northern Parula's are everywhere singing in the trees. My goal was to location a Yellow Throated Vireo at the park. No luck there but even better was finding a Red-Eyed Vireo. Good sign of things to come as migration starts to kick off. Decided to stop at John Chestnut Park on the way home. As I pulled in I could hear Yellow Throated Vireo's singing in the tree's. I no sooner got out and found three in the Oaks. Guess i was looking at wrong park. Birds are actively preparing for Spring. Found 1 Northern Cardinal Nest, a Red Bellied Woodpecker working on a nest hole in a old maple. And a Piliated Woodpecker drumming on a tree in same area. Good grief it's loud. Working my way down the trail I finished my walk with a pair of Barred owls sitting up in a Cypress Tree's. Last bird of day was on arrival home. Yellow Crowned Night Herons have returned to nest. All in all a good day. Would have like to hit a few more spots but with spring comes higher humidity. Afternoon it starts to get nasty.

So added 4 new birds to my list today.

199 Barred Owl
200 Red-eyed Vireo
201 Yellow-throated Vireo
202 Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Cheers
Randy B :)B :)

Things still a bit slow as we wait for migration to kick off. Spent the morning at Ft DeSoto park in Pinellas county. We've had a bit of warm weather and with no breeze the no-see-ums were really bad. Tiny biting bugs that swarm. Got there before sun rise to look for Chuck wills widows. Had one callIng and a second flush at my feet. Got my attention quick. Then went to look for groove bill ani again and again no luck. Did find a white crowed sparrow the was still wintering over. Ended with 44 species for the morning. Three new birds for the year

203 Chuck-will's-widow
204 Yellow-throated Warbler
205 Prairie Warbler

Cheers
Randy

Still a bit slow here. Things should start to pickup soon, hopefully. Went north the Brooker Creek Preserve to track down a reported Solitary Sandpiper and luck was with me. So today was able to add one bird to my yearling list.

206 Solitary Sandpiper

However, the birding overall was quite enjoyable. Both Red-bellied and Peleated Woodpeckers in the park calling and tree knocking to attract mates. Wild Turkey's are out and about, spotted 3 today. The Red Eyed Vireo I located last week is still in the same area singing away. Hopefully, it will find a mate soon in order to nest in the area. A pair of Sandhill Cranes nested successful and were out with their young today in the pasture across from the park. Two Swallow Tail Kites provided an aerial performance as I arrived in the park. Amazing bird to watch. All in All a great day to be outside.

Cheers
Randy

Fridays cold front brought us a few migrants today. Birded Ft DeSoto park
from 7:30 till noon today with three friends and was able to add 10 new birds to list. Many Hooded Warblers and White Eyed Vireo's in park. We also picked up some early arrivals with a Kentucky Warbler and 3 Swainson's Warblers (my personal high for the day), and a Cliff Swallow. Hoping this is a sign of good things to come. One bird we did not find today that was expect were any Waterthrush.

207 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
208 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
209 Cliff Swallow
210 Wood Thrush
211 Worm-eating Warbler
212 Prothonotary Warbler
213 Swainson's Warbler
214 Kentucky Warbler
215 Hooded Warbler
216 Orchard Oriole

Cheers
Randy

Another great day in Florida. Cool temps and plenty of sun. With only a few hours to bird today headed over to Sawgrass Lake Park in St Petersburg which is only a few minutes from the house. Target today was an Ovenbird for my Florida photo list I am working on this year. Got to the park a little after 8. As i started down the canal that surrounds the maple swamp I see movement on the mudbank. Lousiana Waterthrush working its way down the bank feeding. Got a few pics and added to my year list. From there I cut back through the woods and around the back of the pond but no birds. Was getting worried as it was awful quite. Made my way down the boardwalk to the oak hammock as ovenbirds will winter over there. As i started to enter the Hammock I see movement and find my FOS Summer Tanager. Young male just showing some bright orange color. Bird number 2 of day. Worked back through the hammock with no luck but as I am getting back on boardwalk I hear the fimiliar chinck of a Ovenbird. Sure enough I get a photo once I locate the bird. Head back out on the boardwalk and by this time the woods are alive with song. White-eyed Vireos everywhere. Large fallout of White-eyed happened on Friday so this must be part of what moved inland heading north. Still lots of Parula singing in the tree's. Head back over the bridge and back into the woods. Lots of white-eyed vireo, hooded warblers, and parula but not much else. As I step out of the woods I look up and overhead are the pair of swallow tail kites that are nesting at the park. Too high for good pic's so i loop back around into another section of the woods and when i step out now there is a Broad-Winged Hawk overhead. A few ID pic's as this is a rare bird in our location and a FOS. I watch it as it does lazy circles and out of view. Next stop to the other end of the canal. There I find the Broad-Wing again along with the Dark-Morph Short tailed hawk that is nesting in the park. Outstanding finish to the day. Head home and down to the St Petersburg Grand Prix Indy Car street race. Awesome day and as a bonus no school next week.

So birds of the day

217 Broad-winged Hawk
218 Louisiana Waterthrush
219 Summer Tanager

Cheers
Randy B :)

Things have slowed down as we await the next front to arrive. Did manage to add a few birds to list. Yesterday went south to celery fields in Sarasota, Florida. Great day, awesome looks and pics of king rails. Also black neck stilts.
Today early went down to ft desoto park in st petersburg, Florida. Nothing new had shown up so went to check on reported birds at sawgrass lake park. Did get good but brief looks at chimney swifts. Watched the swallowtail kites chasing two juvi bald eagles away from area. Another good day. Off to south Florida on Thursday for a couple of days.

220 King Rail Celery Fields--South Cell
221 Black-necked Stilt Celery Fields--South Cell U
222 Chimney Swift Sawgrass Lake Park US-FL

Cheers
Randy:t:

Well it's been a busy spring break. Back to work on Monday...uggghh.
Week started off with some migrants finally showing up primarily at Ft DeSoto Park here in Pinellas County. The birds thined out quickly however. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were spent in Miami, FL hunting down the Miami specaltiy birds. Ended up finding all we expect plus a few more.

223 Common Nighthawk
224 Red-whiskered Bulbul
225 Common Myna
226 Bronzed Cowbird
227 Brown-crested Flycatcher Canal-111E
228 Egyptian Goose Matheson Hammock Park
229 White-winged Parakeet Latin Cafe Area
230 Blue-and-yellow Macaw Miller Drive Roost
231 Mitred Parakeet Miller Drive Roost
232 Red-masked Parakeet Miller Drive Roost
233 Spot-breasted Oriole Miller Drive Roost
234 Northern Bobwhite Babcock-Webb WMA
235 Hairy Woodpecker Babcock-Webb WMA
236 Red-cockaded Woodpecker Babcock-Webb WMA
237 Brown-headed Nuthatch Babcock-Webb WMA

Only bird that we were unable to locate was Bachman Sparrow at Babcock-Webb.

Cheers
Randy

Attachments

• 194 Red Cockaded Woodpecker 4-4-2015.jpg
    194 Red Cockaded Woodpecker 4-4-2015.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 193 Brown Headed Nuthatch 2 4-4-2015.jpg
    193 Brown Headed Nuthatch 2 4-4-2015.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 32
Up and out early today. Headed south about an hour to Oscar Scherer Park in Osprey FL. Park is known for Florida Scrub Jay habitat but today was looking for Bachman Sparrow. Arrived at park just after opening at 8 and it was already getting hot. Summer is here. Walked out the green trail about a 1/2 mile when I heard the familiar song of a Bachman's Sparrow. Lucky enough the bird was close to the trail up in a dead scrub so was lucky to get a few pic's before it flew up into a Pine Tree. Just hung around the around the area for about 20 minutes to listen to it's wonderful song along with a close by calling Bobwhite Quail. With no shade on the trail and the sun getting hotter I headed back toward the car. On a side note with the Scrub Jay's. Oscar Scherer has been experiencing a drop in the number of birds the last several years. As yet they cannot explain the reason for the drop. More than likely it's habitat issues. An ever increasing problem in Florida as we overdevelope and fragment wildlife areas. Bachman's Sparrow is another bird that is being affected by this issue.

Headed back north to Emerson Point in Palmetto, FL. Target bird was Mangrove Cuckoo that had been reported back in area the past few days. Again luck was with me as I just walked into mangrove area when i located the bird. Got some great pic's and headed home making one last stop to try and located a group of Western Kingbirds reported in a pasture just a short ways north on US Hiway 41. Did locate one Kingbird so a good finish to the morning.

So for today we added

238 Bachman's Sparrow Oscar Scherer SP--Green Trail
239 Mangrove Cuckoo Emerson Point Preserve

Supposed to be good chance of rain on Sunday and Monday as a front stalls out just north of us. Hopefully, it will drop at least a few migrants in our area.

Cheers
Randy

Attachments

• 200 Mangrove Cuckoo 4-11-2015.jpg
    200 Mangrove Cuckoo 4-11-2015.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 198 Bachman Sparrow 4-11-2015.jpg
    198 Bachman Sparrow 4-11-2015.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 40
Decided to take a day off from school. Summer vacation please hurry.
Spring migration has been a bust so far. Steady winds out of east have kept any large numbers of birds out of Florida. A few here and there are showing up. Today was very slow. Didn't help that it was overcast which is unusual for Florida in April as typically its a dry month. After a hour of searching we did locate a few birds today

240 Least Tern Fort De Soto Park
241 Gray Kingbird Fort De Soto Park
242 American Redstart Fort De Soto Park
243 Blackpoll Warbler Fort De Soto Park

Next week there is a chance of a front and winds shifting to west west/northwest along with rain. May be our best chance of some migrants dropping in. Keeping our fingers crossed

Cheers
Randy

Final some migrants showed up today. Was only able to get for a couple of hours after work but still located some good birds at Ft Desoto Park in St Petersurg fl

Today's year birds
244 Black Whiskered Vireo
245 Gray-cheeked Thrush
246 Swainson's Thrush
247 Cape May Warbler
248 Chestnut-sided Warbler
249 Black-throated Green Warbler

Also added new county bird. Scissor tail flycatcher.

Cheers
Randy

An early summer continues to pound away at us. Temps in upper 80's with humidity on the rise. Hope this does not mean a bad hurrican season.
Last of the migrates have vanished so went south to try and find Tropical Kingbird and Virigina Rail. This may pick up this week as strong front arrives Mondy night and supposed to rain all day Tue in Wed.

After a 45 min drive the Kingbird took all of 10 minutes. This bird has returned to same parking lot with a group of gray kingbirds the past 3 years at St Armands Circle. A shopping area on St Armands Key Sarasota. Pulled in, and the bird started calling to the other Kingbirds a few minutes later.

Virigina Rail was not so lucky. This bird should already been gone for the season but has been hanging at Celery Fields in Sarasota. Arrive a few minutes after 8. Already several birders there. After an hour I had to leave to go meet my son. But not all bad, the King Rails are hopefully nesting now. Got to see 2 upclose. Also 3 Sora's and a Least Bittern. Fun morning before heading off to spend time with my son and his wife.

250 Tropical Kingbird St. Armands Circle

Heres a shot caling to the Gray Kingbirds

Attachments

• 215 Tropical Kingbird  2 4-25-2015.jpg
    215 Tropical Kingbird 2 4-25-2015.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Not much going on in our area with migration. We just have not had the west winds to push birds in off the Gulf of Mexico. Was a scramble to add a couple of birds this week

251 Eastern Kingbird Fort De Soto Park US-FL 29 Apr 2015
252 Yellow-billed Cuckoo Boyd Hill Nature Park US-FL 02 May 2015

Next week we have a slight chance of weather on Wednesday but we're getting kinda late. Strong east winds over next couple of days gives us chance of Connecticut warbler being pushed over from east coast. Been so slow I've been chasing butterflies instead.

Cheers
Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back