• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungus on Pine Cone (1 Viewer)

ggregory71

The photographs show a fungus growing on an old pine cone at Gibraltar Point. I would be grateful if anyone could identify the species.

Attachments

• P1010316.JPG
    P1010316.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 59
  • P1010317.JPG
    P1010317.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 77
Hi GG,

My first guess would be Strobilurus tenacellus Pinecone Cap.
Quite a useful species, not only because it gets rid of cones, but because several widely used agricultural fungicides derive from it.

Cheers,
Nick

Can't help with the fungus, but the more complete cone in the background of the first pic is European Black Pine Pinus nigra.

I have used a search engine, and Conifercone Cap (Baeospora myosura) also seems a possibility.

Hi GG,

Yes, I think it is a possibility. I find Strobilurus and Baeospora quite easy to tell apart in the field, but it's far more difficult from a photo!

The stems of B.myosura are always obviously pruinose - I think this is missing in your photos (I include a photo for comparison, though I imagine you have seen this feature during your internet searches). In particular the stem of the young fruitbodies on the left (second pic) seem to be entirely smooth.

But the gills look too crowded for Strobilurus , which is confusing...

I wonder if the caulocystidia (which are the cells which make the stem look pruinose) could have been destroyed by handling/abrasion?

Cheers,
Nick

Attachments

• Baeospora myosura - Copy.JPG
    Baeospora myosura - Copy.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 36
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back