• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper ID [IN Ottawa] {good pics too} (1 Viewer)

Catherine3678

This little bird makes the cutest little peeping sounds to announce its arrival! Very wild ... my "make like a tree skills" came in very handy as I was out in the open stalking this bird to get some (I think) very nice photos. Is this the "Solitary Sandpiper"?

Attachments

• Sandpiper.jpg
    Sandpiper.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Sandpiper (1).jpg
    Sandpiper (1).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Sandpiper (2).jpg
    Sandpiper (2).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Sandpiper (3).jpg
    Sandpiper (3).jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Sandpiper (4).jpg
    Sandpiper (4).jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 56
Juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs. Greater would have a longer and thicker bill, with a pale base: in the field, it is also very much larger, though this can be hard to judge from pics or lone birds. Solitary Sandpiper is superficially similar, though has shorter legs and neck, a slightly decurved bill (with, I seem to recall, a pale base?), a more attenuated rear end etc. In flight, Solitary Sandpiper has a dark rump, as against the squared-off white rump of both yellowlegs species.
Regards,
Harry

Great shots of the yellowlegs! :t:

Catherine, was it you I was watching the merlins chasing crows at the Ottawa river near Woodroffe sometime last week??? I was talking with someone about the birds seen in the little pond there, and she mentioned the same phrase about "making like a tree" to sneak up on the heron there!

That would be cool to think that I met you and didn't even know it! :-O

Great shots of the yellowlegs! :t:

Catherine, was it you I was watching the merlins chasing crows at the Ottawa river near Woodroffe sometime last week??? I was talking with someone about the birds seen in the little pond there, and she mentioned the same phrase about "making like a tree" to sneak up on the heron there!

That would be cool to think that I met you and didn't even know it! :-O

Thank you.

Yuppers! ;)

That's a phrase I coined back back in my childhood days ... discovered birds don't "see" you as fast if you walk straight toward them ... no side to side nonsense. So basically, you become as "a tree" in their field of vision. Trees may be there ... closer or further away ... but never "move" side to side. If you must move to the side; must do that when you're sure the bird is not watching you. If there are many birds, this is not really possible ... but still. There are days the method really pays off.

The crows won the day ... and appear to still be holding the territory. Judging by the end of the fight ... they won on sheer numbers and the Merlins gave up and flew off.

And there are very happy "little birds" twittering about the lagoon again ... the wood ducks are back too.

And very good photos! Congrats on the lifer.

Thank you ... I walked about a mile following that bird to get those ... my mother does not understand this hobby ... "hokey smokey ... you walked a mile to see THAT" ... hehehe ... oh well.

And that day also there was this man in a canoe ... seemed everywhere I was aiming the camera to take pictures of the ducks, geese, etc ... there he was in the background. A mile down the river ... I realized that he was now canoeing towards me 'cause he couldn't see that bird from the distance and for a moment there I was concerned you know ... but thankfully I guessed he realized what I was doing and he didn't scare away the bird before I got the pictures. Life's little adventures.

For those who want to see them I've uploaded some photos of this cute little bird to my Flickr albums.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lavendarlady/sets/72157601636856336/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back