• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

continued reintroduction of the White tailed eagle? (1 Viewer)

Isurus

I'm sure I can remember reading somewhere a suggestion that the next step in the thus far successful white tailed sea eagle was to commence the release of a second population on the east coast near a major sea bird colony but can't find any thing on the web to that effect. Any one have details to confirm or deny? I think it was only a proposal when i read about it.

Isurus said:
I'm sure I can remember reading somewhere a suggestion that the next step in the thus far successful white tailed sea eagle was to commence the release of a second population on the east coast near a major sea bird colony but can't find any thing on the web to that effect. Any one have details to confirm or deny? I think it was only a proposal when i read about it.

I heard a rumour that it might be further south and east. More in Avocet and Canada Goose territory than E coast seabird territory. As for whether that counts as a "re"introduction I am not sure- they were a familiar sight scavenging the dead on E England battlefields in early Saxon times.

Last edited:
white-back said:
I heard a rumour that it might be further south and east. More in Avocet and Canada Goose territory than E coast seabird territory. As for whether that counts as a "re"introduction I am not sure- they were a familiar sight scavenging the dead on E England battlefields in early Saxon times.
well that would be perfect, much nearer my house and helping to naturally solve the canada goose problem thats causing the debate elsewhere in this forum!

I don't think there would be too many political obstacles to this idea. Birds of prey are much more accepted these days.

Amarillo said:
I don't think there would be too many political obstacles to this idea. Birds of prey are much more accepted these days.

That's my view also- it is not likely to raise the same level of objection or concern as say wolf of beaver. I would guess the main questions will be much as with Great Bustard i.e. 1. budgetary (who is willing to pay/how much/for how long?) and 2. whether predicted mortality (both accidental and unlawful in the case of the eagle) would threaten viability of the project. My guess is that 1 would be solved through private sponsorship and 2. would not stop the effort being made.

"I'm sure I can remember reading somewhere a suggestion that the next step in the thus far successful white tailed sea eagle was to commence the release of a second population on the east coast near a major sea bird colony but can't find any thing on the web to that effect. Any one have details to confirm or deny? I think it was only a proposal when i read about it."

In Feb 2004, Roy Dennis stated that :- "The next step
Even in Scotland, we are again at a crossroads - with some people, including me, advocating an immediate programme of releases in new areas. Others favour a slower approach, and yet others believe it should be left to a natural spread from the present population. Using our knowledge of the very successful red kite reintroduction, we should be translocating young sea eagles from western Scotland and from mainland Europe, first to the Moray Firth and then to other suitable regions of Scotland, England and Wales.
It's possible now because people are learning to live with larger predators again, and as there's a great interest in nature, there's a reduction in persecution. Though the landscape in some regions has changed, there are new opportunities for sea eagles: many large reservoirs, big colonies of inland nesting cormorants, big increases in waterfowl and lakes with slow-moving fish such as carp. Some of the species the eagles would hunt - such as cormorants, gulls and waterfowl - are even regarded as problem species.

Just think of a future when white-tailed eagles might soar again over the chalk cliffs of the Isle of Wight or hunt for waterfowl over estuaries and marshes throughout these islands - or knowing that sea eagles are back in the western Mediterranean, the coasts of the Bay of Biscay and the great estuaries of western Europe. Maybe it's a dream, but it's a dream that's attainable."
(Extract from February 2004 issue of BBC Wildlife Magazine)

I also came across this :-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3869965.stm
which seems to be a little curious, considering the UK release scheme, and where this youngster was destined for.
Liked this story :-
http://society.guardian.co.uk/societyguardian/story/0,7843,1545554,00.html

Regards

Malky

white-back said:
they were a familiar sight scavenging the dead on E England battlefields

Amarillo said:
I don't think there would be too many political obstacles to this idea.

Hmm... :loveme:

Seriously, i think it can be a good idea. Always a question if you find monies for it and maybe put them into some other project.

Last edited:
About political obstacles... There were plans to reintroduce White-tailed Eagles in the Netherlands. Many birdwatchers (like me) were strongly opposed. Not because we don't like them, but because we figured they would find their own way back in due time (populations are on the increase in Germany). Since more and more birds are spending the summer in the Netherlands, it seems a question of time before they'll breed.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back