• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HAWK ownership?? (1 Viewer)

wigwamrte66

Hello everyone,

I am fascinated with hawks, I love their chirping high pitch screams!

They are superior to man, from what I view. They are a species which I would like to own, I'd like to save and rescue an injured one. Is there any possibilies of this? I'd rather stay away from doing the adoption deal where someone else takes care of the bird.

Any ideas, suggestions, advice?

I probably wouldn't want to handle, touch the bird, but would highly admire having one! I could feed it and let it rome around a cage?

Thanks,
Manoj.

www.wigwammotel.com

Hi Manoj,

Welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I am not too sure about the law in the US, but I am sure one of our US members will have the correct info.

I believe that to be a wildlife rehabber you have to have a licence and that to keep any wild birds you need a licence. Maybe you should get in touch with a local rehabber to see what process you need to go through to get the licence.

Hi, Manoj, and welcome to BirdForum.

As Robin has surmised, it is illegal in the US to keep any wild bird in captivity without having the proper permits to do so. In the case of birds of prey, you'd need a federal permit in addition to one from California, assuming you have the proper qualifications. You can't get permits for federally protected species simply to have them as pets.

wigwamrte66 said:
I probably wouldn't want to handle, touch the bird, but would highly admire having one! I could feed it and let it rome around a cage?
Frankly, I don't know why you'd want to cage any wild bird, especially certain birds of prey who spend so much of their lives soaring on the wind. It would be better for you to express your admiration by supporting their protection, e.g., habitat conservation, rehabilitation facilities, research, and simply going out and watching them in the wild.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back