• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Snapping Turtles killing our birds? (1 Viewer)

arco13

Hi Everyone,
This is my 1st posting. My brother got me into birding about 1 year ago and now all I do during my free time is take pictures of birds. lol, insane! Someone out there has to start up a bar where birders can get drunk and talk about birds. Please let me know if there is one out there. I would be there every night. Anyway I don’t want to bore you all with my life so I’ll get to my question.
My parents own a fair sized lake on there property here in CT. Every year they are visited by groups of Canadian geese. For some reason there has been a big reduction in the geese that have stayed here this year. My mother thinks that this is because there are a large number of big snapping turtles in the lake this year and they are threatening the adult geese. I was not so sure because I have never heard of snapping turtles killing or threatening an adult Canadian goose. I have heard of them killing the very young ones though. So this is my question. Do snapping turtles actively hunt down adult sized Canadian geese? These are really big turtles. We saw one just last week on the lawn and it must have weighted at least 50 pounds.
Thanks,

Arco13

I have no definate answer but here's my thinking. Snapping turtles have that lure on their tongue and they have very quick reflexes and will snap at anything stuck in their mouth. I remember finding one (probably about 5 lbs) as a kid and having fun putting sticks in his mouth to watch him bite in half. An adult goose might go for the lure (do they eat wormy looking things?) and get its head chomped on my the turtle. I don't know if the turtle would actually eat the goose, but would probably kill it with those powerful jaws.

I like the idea of the bar!

About the snapping turtles, I doubt that they are doing that great of an impact on the geese. I am sure that they would take a gosling if it was young enough, but like most reptiles, their appetites aren't that great.

I have been reading that one of the controlling factors for geese populations in urban areas have been coyotes. They will eat eggs and a bird if given the chance, and if the adults' eggs have been predated, they won't stay in the area.

just a thought.

I hear you

Cillana said:
I have no definate answer but here's my thinking. Snapping turtles have that lure on their tongue and they have very quick reflexes and will snap at anything stuck in their mouth. I remember finding one (probably about 5 lbs) as a kid and having fun putting sticks in his mouth to watch him bite in half. An adult goose might go for the lure (do they eat wormy looking things?) and get its head chomped on my the turtle. I don't know if the turtle would actually eat the goose, but would probably kill it with those powerful jaws.

That is true, they have the jaws to kill that’s for sure. When I think about what you said I think that maybe they don’t even care about eating it. Maybe they are just territorial by nature and they snap at anything. Just like the sticks that you watch the 5 pounder chomp in half.
Thanks so much for your response Cillana, you rock!

jgrnot said:
I like the idea of the bar!

About the snapping turtles, I doubt that they are doing that great of an impact on the geese. I am sure that they would take a gosling if it was young enough, but like most reptiles, their appetites aren't that great.

I have been reading that one of the controlling factors for geese populations in urban areas have been coyotes. They will eat eggs and a bird if given the chance, and if the adults' eggs have been predated, they won't stay in the area.

just a thought.

Its funny that was one of my 1st thoughts when I had this discussion with my mother. It definitely makes sense. I know that they are in the area. It’s really hard to tell how much of an impact they make because they are so stealthy and you rarely see them. I have a feeling you are correct though.
Thanks, jgrnot

p.s. don’t you think there should be a good travelers guide to birding, it would tell you where to bird and where to have a good pint after your birding.

I think that you have found your million dollar idea, the birding and boozing tour book.

I know that I would definitely be a customer.

I can imagine nothing better.

I wouldn't think the turtles were causing the problem. If they were chowing down on adult geese, there'd probably be partially eaten carcasses floating around. They'd have to be awful hungry, too.

The biggest challenge to nesting geese I've seen on my river are mink, coyotes, fox, & snapping turtles. I'm sure the racoons and skunks would grab anything if they got a chance too. The adults are rarely threatened but it's been enough predation on the eggs & chicks to get them to change the nesting sites.

When are you opening the bar? : )

Alison G. said:
The biggest challenge to nesting geese I've seen on my river are mink, coyotes, fox, & snapping turtles. I'm sure the racoons and skunks would grab anything if they got a chance too. The adults are rarely threatened but it's been enough predation on the eggs & chicks to get them to change the nesting sites.

When are you opening the bar? : )

Thanks for the good info Alison.
I need a name for the bar.
Also need some money to buy it, lol.
Maybe Warren Buffet will give me some. ;)
Do you know his phone number by any chance?

jgrnot said:
I think that you have found your million dollar idea, the birding and boozing tour book.

I know that I would definitely be a customer.

I can imagine nothing better.

LOL, I have my 1st customer. Thanks, jgrnot. You rock :clap:

I highly doubt the snapping turtles had any impact on the Canada Geese population. Yes, they do use their little, pink tongue to lure in prey but they are usually underwater at the bottom of ponds or rivers when they are looking to eat and that is not a normal place for a Canada Goose to be.

Don't know much about the feeding habits of snapping turtles I'm afraid. However, I'd give my right arm to have one living in my garden pond!!! I have to make do with a couple of common frogs and a goldfish!!!
I am also liking the idea of a birders bar. Will it be open 24/7?

Hey Arco13! Fortunately you have found the wonderful world of birding. Unfortunately, you will now be consumed for the rest of your life!!!

I do like the Birding Bar idea and would find time to add that to my agenda.

BTW: The geese aren't "Canadian". That's a nationality. They are "Canada" geese. Now, if you hear one going "Honk, Honk, Eh" that would be a Canadian Canada Goose!

Have fun with you new found life-long project.

take care,
tom.

skink1978 said:
Don't know much about the feeding habits of snapping turtles I'm afraid. However, I'd give my right arm to have one living in my garden pond!!! I have to make do with a couple of common frogs and a goldfish!!!
I am also liking the idea of a birders bar. Will it be open 24/7?

Hells yeah! 24/7 my friend. I want it to be a building wedged in a large group of trees. There would be loads of birdfeeder all around it so you could watch all the amazing birds hang out. It’s a bar for them too.

Still wondering when Warren Buffets going to donate.

Tom Dunne said:
Hey Arco13! Fortunately you have found the wonderful world of birding. Unfortunately, you will now be consumed for the rest of your life!!!

I do like the Birding Bar idea and would find time to add that to my agenda.

BTW: The geese aren't "Canadian". That's a nationality. They are "Canada" geese. Now, if you hear one going "Honk, Honk, Eh" that would be a Canadian Canada Goose!

Have fun with you new found life-long project.

take care,
tom.

LOL. Opps. I stand corrected. Thanks Tom

1st rounds on the house

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back