• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds (1 Viewer)

OKPeach

Hi I am new to this forum. I am from the Okanagan - West Kelowna BC
Just wondering how late Hummingsbirds can be to migrate. We have two still coming to our feeder (Oct 16) They are juveniles and look like Annas. I had an Anna stay at our feeder in 1998 until Dec 23 when it perished from minus 16 temperatures. It went into torpor and never came out of torpor in the shelter we built. I am dreading this happening to these two hummers. I noticed on another link that there still was an Anna in Pentiction as at Oct 4th.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

After years of watching the hummers if I've learned anything, it is that they hardly ever keep to a schedule. Sad to hear about your fatality last year. Let's hope these juvies are smart enough to move on soon.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope your juvies start moving south soon.

KCFoggin - it has been 13 yrs since we had the Anna stay so late and perish. We are suppose to have a harsh winter this year in Western Canada so my heart is wishing the juvenile Annas would depart soon. We have had snow in the higher elevations. We are about 3 hours east of Vancouver Canada. We do have Annas that stay year round on Vancouver Island but not here where it can get down to minus 20 celcius. I am trying to find a small styrafoam cooler to hang the feeder in plus a 150 watt bulb to keep it from freezing. That has worked in the past as there were two hummers that survived closer to Lake Okanagan. We are higher up the mountain side. Nature sure can get complicated.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hi OKPeach and a warm welcome from me too

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I'll look forward to hearing all your news - good juck with your hummers.

D

Warmest welcome

Warmest welcome.This is a great forum I am sure will enjoy it. Unfortunately some hummingbirds are not in the best health and don't migrate. Perhaps it is all a part of nature's plan. It was so kind of you to build a shelter. Hummingbirds are extending their territories farther north also.There are many reports of Rufous hummingbirds being spotted farther into Canada.

http://www.hummingbird-guide.com/hummingbird-migration.html

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back