• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New species (1 Viewer)

Ecuadorrebel

Writer, Photographer, Guide
I just added a new species to the Opus database. It is a Northern Mountain-Cacique (Cacicus leucoramphus), a subspecies of the Mountain Cacique (C. chrysonotus). Please check to see if I added it correctly as this is the first time I have added a bird species. I don't have a photo yet but I will work on that. I will also add more data as I do a little research.

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Well, no it's not;). We have a policy in what species we have in the Opus. Our original base was the Sibley and Monroe World list. Later we added all splits (and lumps) which are accepted by Clements and Howard & Moore.

Northern Mountain Cacique is not accepted by any of these three lists (but by the IOC list which we use as tiebreaker in some cases). Therefore we don't have an article in the Opus, but we mention it under Mountain Cacique.

On one side this policy makes us slow in accepting new species. On the other side, we have to rely on the big World lists, as we are no taxonomy experts. I hope you understand.
I did add your infos to the Mountain Cacique article and made a redirect out of your entry (so if you search for Northern Mountain Cacique you will get to the Mountain Cacique entry).

BTW I like reading your location articles from Ecuador. Next year I will go for the first time to South America (Peru), but Ecuador could be the destination for a second visit....

Greetings from Switzerland
André

Thanks André,

No problem. I wasn't exactly sure what to do or what the rules were. While I was putting together the info on Guango Lodge I kept coming up with a "no page exists" for the Northern Mountain-Cacique. That is why I added it. I may do a little more searching for this bird in the future as I can get to the area in a little over an hour from my house. I will add any additional info I get to the Mountain Cacique page.

If you ever get down to Ecuador let me know and we can get together.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back