• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm getting some NOS 10x35 EII. Is there a particular version to get? Serial #? (1 Viewer)

Rathaus

They'll be New old stock from eBay Japan most likely. I've seen some mention of serial numbers on BF etc...any real concerns here?...the later model the better? How can I tell?...or is there virtually nothing in it regardless? Anything simple to look for on eBay photos...like coating colour or pleather cover colour?

I got the 8x30EII in black recently and they're superb bins. Ridiculously good value/performance ratio....so I can't resist the value of the 10x either...while they're still available.

Cheers, Rathaus.

They'll be New old stock from eBay Japan most likely. I've seen some mention of serial numbers on BF etc...any real concerns here?...the later model the better? How can I tell?...or is there virtually nothing in it regardless? Anything simple to look for on eBay photos...like coating colour or pleather cover colour?

I got the 8x30EII in black recently and they're superb bins. Ridiculously good value/performance ratio....so I can't resist the value of the 10x either...while they're still available.

Cheers, Rathaus.

I don't remember the serial # of my BB 10x35 EII, which I sold to Bruce H, but make sure it has a black body like your 8x30, since the BB version has more robust coverings and more advanced AR coatings than the earlier gray body version.

OTOH, my gray body 8x30 EII had a larger sweet spot and more gradual fall off at the edges than the BB version 8x30 EII I owned. So there is sample variation, but I've had three 10x35 EIIs, two gray and one black, and the sweet spot was generous in all samples. Easier to stretch the sweet spot with 7* than 8.8*.

Brock

Last edited:
I don't remember the serial # of my BB 10x35 EII, which I sold to Bruce H, but make sure it has a black body like your 8x30, since the BB version has more robust coverings and more advanced AR coatings than the earlier gray body version.

OTOH, my gray body 8x30 EII had a larger sweet spot and more gradual fall off at the edges than the BB version 8x30 EII I owned. So there is sample variation, but I've had three 10x35 EIIs, two gray and one black, and the sweet spot was generous in all samples. Easier to stretch the sweet spot with 7* than 8.8*.

Brock

Ok thanks Brock. Ill get the black ones if I can.

Brock

The approximate serial number of the black covered 10X35 EII that I acquired from Mr. Brock is 0034xx. I do not recall when Brock obtained it, but I think I bought it from him around Dec. 2013. I am thinking he was the first retail purchaser. Maybe he remembers and can fill us in with the details and dates. It does provide an excellent wide view.

The approximate serial number of the black covered 10X35 EII that I acquired from Mr. Brock is 0034xx. I do not recall when Brock obtained it, but I think I bought it from him around Dec. 2013. I am thinking he was the first retail purchaser. Maybe he remembers and can fill us in with the details and dates. It does provide an excellent wide view.

The 10x35 EIIs came from Chinaarts in Hong Kong. I think I got them in early 2012. Not long after, the store stopped selling them on eBay because the owner was told by Nikon he could no longer sell EIIs to U.S. buyers and remain an authorized Nikon dealer. He apparently wasn't the only one, because new EII sales disappeared from eBay.

Either late last year or early this year, Nikon lifted the ban on selling EIIs to U.S. buyers, and they are now about a $100 cheaper than they had been in 2012. I paid even more for the BB 8x30 EII because I bought it during the ban from a guy who picked up a couple pairs when he was on a trip to Hong Kong.

I wish we still had a Nikon rep on these forums so we could find out why they lifted the ban. Someone suggested they are clearing their stock, I hope that's not the case.

Brock

Finally got the 10x35 Ell

I finally got some from Japan...really cheap nos. black model.

Here's the weird bit -

I opened the new package and the bins looked mint new, but the focuser was flopping all over the place with brow pressure...the eyepieces too. What to do...muck about sending it back and wait till I'm 500yrs old?

No! It was time to get out the screwdrivers, pin wrench and axle grease!

Here's the reason why - I wouldn't have bothered....but....while I was fiddling around with the focus at first, trying to get a decent view, well, I did suddenly manage to get a good view...a massive clear deep view that just popped and I nearly pooped myself! So I thought...collimation is perfect. Optics are absolutely blueprint cherry stunning. Don't send this back anywhere to anyone.

I'm happy to report that I didn't ham fist and botch this job...I'm on a roll here. These 10x are now focusing smoother and sweeter than my 8x e2.

Rathaus

These are a very nice binocular, what ser.# range is yours in. I just want to compare.

Mine has a bit too loose of hinge, and I am going to tighten it, when I get time.

I have a black model, Ser. # 00422*.

I am really liking a wide FOV. The EII's have it, and they are very light and bright.

Jerry

Last edited:
These are a very nice binocular, what ser.# range is yours in. I just want to compare.

Mine has a bit too loose of hinge, and I am going to tighten it, when I get time.

I have a black model, Ser. # 00422*.

I am really liking a wide FOV. The EII's have it, and they are very light and bright.

Jerry

Jerry

My serial number is 0200**

A later number?

Rathaus

Yours may be a newer one, but not sure about any changes in
this model if any.

That means enjoy, they will not be making binoculars like this any
more.

Jerry

They suit my larger hands too...what a great sized binocular. My pinkies can just relax on them, unlike the little 8x30 e2.

I also pumped some really thick grease right up its empty dry shaft form the objective end then sealed it back up. It was like putting nice oil into a shot shocky. It acts as an internal dampener for the whole focus mechanism. I used a caulking type applicator to get it right in there. But then, I like a firmer well damped focus. What a difference.

Enjoy is the right word for these. Owning both, I know the exceptions but I'm really surprised the banter around here seems at least 95% about the 8x30e2 and barely much for the 10x35e2.

Cheers
Rathaus

Last edited:
Rath - When Nikon began to market the SEs and the EIIs, I purchased every model, some a couple of times that went to friends. Their optical quality was high. First came the SE 10x42, then the SE 8x32, and finally the SE 12x50. Soon the EIIs came with the 8x30 and then the 10x35.

Eventually as my keepers were the SE 8x32 and 12x50 and then the 10x35, which IMO is very under rated.

I found the ELLs not as robust as the SEs. The EII were beset with coverings coming unglued and didn't sustained falls and hard bumps as well as the SEs. I tend to be a bit careless and several of my EIIs broke the glue line on the prisms after falls. The metal objective rings, lids and edges of the EIIs invite bumping because they are uncovered, unlike the SEs which cover those areas.

Brock has almost made a career out of studying the different coatings and serial numbers of the SEs and EIIs. He sees the differences. I don't. I also don't see CA. But that doesn't mean that he is mistaken. He sees things that my old eyes can't discern. His findings may coincide with yours.

Ergonomically, because with my very large hands, I find the EII 8x30 too difficult to grasp with its short barrels. The EII 10x35 is just right for me.
So EII 8x30 was sold to a fellow, who sings its praises and probably will have it buried with him when he dies.

IMO there are so many quality binoculars being produced today that birders have what I call a "happy problem" in choosing a pair. If a user only had an EII or an SE to choose from for a lifetime, he or she wouldn't be terribly handicapped looking at birds, animals, or anything.

John

Cheers, Rathaus.

I purchased a pair a few months ago 003939.
suppressor

So....Why such a bias for the 8x30 when the 10x35 is such an optical monster? With the trend toward 10x these days, how could you go wrong? Yes...the exit pupil is on the opiate addict side of things....but every little bit is soo good!

Having looked through them, I am now a big supporter of both these bins. Get them while they're still out there! HurryB :):t:

People tend to buy 8x bins as a safe option and I suspect very few people ever see a 10x EII in the flesh, let alone play with one.

For a gentle stroll through the countryside on a sunny day when you may need to use a pair of binoculars the 8x is a nice relaxing companion. If you are going somewhere where you know you will be needing bins a lot, the 10x has the edge for me.

Most folks (given eye relief etc.) can live with either.

Unfortunately I tend to treat them as family pets and use my roofs in conditions where they may fall down mountains, get stolen or get lost in a bog. The roof cost a lot more but I wouldn't miss them the same way if the worst happened. Irrational, but thats the way it goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back