• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LXL 8x32s for $720 new! (1 Viewer)

karmantra

FYI--REI is having their Anniversary Sale thru May 14th and they have a members only coupon for 20% off any one regular-priced item (Lifetime membership costs $15 and can be done via phone 1-800-426-4840, and coupon applies immediately upon membership). They sell the Nikon LXL 8x32 Premier Binos at a regular price of $900--with the 20% off coupon the price is $720! These are brand new, not refurbished. REI also has a no hassle return policy, item can be shipped to a local REI store for free or to your home for a shipping charge of $11.99 via UPS. No, I don't work for REI, but I am a member--wanted to pass this along to Forum members who are looking for a pair but don't want to pay $900-$950 for them. Check REI's website and search for Nikon.

FrankD said:
What is REI?...and where are they based out of?

Frank,

All about REI: http://www.rei.com/aboutrei/about_rei.html

I am a member myself. Thanks to karmantra I just ordered my 8x32 LXLs for under $800 including overnight shipping! Bad news for me is I just had a pair delievered today from another on-line vendor for which I paid $949 + shipping. Even with the shipping back I am still WAY ahead using REI.

Bluebill

FrankD said:
What is REI?...and where are they based out of?
FrankD: Did you get Bluebill's info on REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.)? Go to the website or give them a call (1-800-426-4840). REI is based out of Seattle, Washington, started in 1938, with retail stores all over the U.S., and mail, phone & web services.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. Are they reputable? I always like to have many options at hand. I will go check them out.

REI is a major sporting goods (minus hook & bullet) equipment retailer and has several retail stores throughout the US. I don't think you get this big without being reputable.

However, REI is not an optics store and it sounds like you have to be a member to get the 20% discount. Their may be a small one time fee to join. But you do get "points" for future purchases with every purchase made.

For future reference: REI is a co-op business. There's a one time fee to join and you get rebates once a year on purchases. The size of the rebate is dependant on their profits (and what you bought). Their emphasis is on quality outdoor gear (backpacking, cycling, kayaking and canoeing, clothing, etc.).

Rei has been around for at least 30 years and is pretty big in the western USA. They are a GREAT company and the people who work for them actually live the outdoor life and know what they're talking about.

Too bad I didn't notice this and use my own coupon for these!

Chris - REI member since 1978

REI is a pretty good outdoor store, but has no hunting and fishing stuff as Bill said. Retail stores have a very small selection of binoculars. The best store may be in Minneapolis.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back