• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alder Flycatcher, Colombia, June 16 ? (1 Viewer)

TomFriedel

Colombia
Hi,

Could this be an Alder/Willow Flycatcher? Usually I see the Acadian Flycatchers here (at least I think that's what they are) but in the forest. This bird was seen in an open field near the ground near horses. And they should back in the US in June. I saw it again the next day and possibly interacting with a second similar bird.

If it is definitely an Alder/Willow are there any clues to which based on migration and/or behavior? The Bran-colored Flycatcher and Yellow-bellied Elaenia were common at this site, but it seems too different.

Link for higher res of attached.

https://www.birdphotos.com/photos/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=311949&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Thanks,
Tom Friedel

Attachments

• Alder_Flycatcher_800.jpg
    Alder_Flycatcher_800.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks, the Yellow-bellied Elaenia didn't occur to me because they are very common at this site, but are thin, very crested and hyperactive. So an immature Yellow-bellied might make sense, but you are right that this bird has all of the characteristics of a Lesser Elaenia.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back