• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mealworm baiting for photography (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

Hi,I posted this question in the "feeding" thread but had no replies so I thought it may be better posted here.Has anybody had success with baiting insect eating birds (warblers,redstarts etc) with a mealworm feeder.I put the feeder up at my woodland feeding station but it just attracted my usual tits and woodpeckers.I have now put it up in a conifer forest in an area I have seen warblers,wrens,goldcrest etc.I only put it there on friday but I am still waiting for a customer.Is it a case of they havent found it yet or will these kind of birds just refuse to eat from a feeder?Any comments or experience would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Be patient these can take a while for birds to find them, often mealworms are best placed on an obvious perch (i,e, a large fence post top), to start with so that the birds find them, then place the feeder on or near the post so they can recognise the contents.

Thanks for the quick response Nigel.I should have known it would take some patience as it took the GS woodpeckers 6 weeks to become regulars at my woodland station.The mealworm feeder is just one of those clear seed feeders from wilkinsons so they can see the contents.I have scatterred some mealworms on a log below the feeder as well.I will keep my fingers crossed.Thanks again,Mike.

As John says, birds soon recognise obvious signs that fresh food is available, at my feeder site they flock in at the sight of my car being parked nearby,the Nuthatch usally arrives on the wiper blades soon after I park!

Thanks both.I think I will just leave it up there and when I notice birds using it (I walk the dog regularly there) I will plan a photography session.I went up again this morning,for four hours!All I had was a robin and a chaffinch (I scattered seed as well).Both regular visitors at my woodland station.John,I am using the dried mealworms.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back