• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who gives you inspiration? (1 Viewer)

mjmw

formally known as mw_aurora
I know this has been asked before but, for me at least, is is a moving and changing thing. It also makes a change from all those pixel peeking, 'what lens will make me a good bird photographer?' and 'how do I tape my pins?' threads ;)

So, who inspires your bird photography? Where do you go for this inspiration?

Mark,

Two Americans, Ansel Adams and Eugene Smith, who needs colour!

Anywhere, quiet, away from the phone, people asking me to do things, the M25 and deadlines.

The forum is a good place for inspiration for me because there are so many different personal styles and equipment used to get that perfect shot. It's also a great (ouch!) way to find out if your picture has any mass appeal too. But, I do have to admit that Ansel Adams is also my favorite photographer as well.

There are several photographers here on BF whose pictures I enjoy looking at - I won't mention any names in particular but anyone who can show a creature well enough for it to be identified, whilst combining a bit of artistic flair together with a sharp, well-exposed image has my attention.

Of course, the generous comments that one gets for one's hard-won efforts are an inspiration in themselves to go out and try even harder next time...

Like many others, I find the gallery a great source of inspiration (and envy on occasions!). To pick out a few names is hard, but Aki, John Robinson and Psilo are some I have been watching out for recently.
The feedback from others on my posted images also encourages me to take more.

More generally, have a look at Yann Arthus-Bertrand 'The Earth From The Air' - amazing vision.

For me it would have to be Nigel Blake, his images are outstanding and he's happy to give tips and advice to the rest of us. I'm also always impressed by Markus Varesvuo's work.

My ex-boss, as he makes me realise just how wonderful getting away from work and taking pictures can be, can say ex as I start a new job next Monday:-O

Seriously any one who takes a picture where I can go wow I wish I'd taken that or I'm gonna try that is all the inspiration I need (easily pleased)
Has any one had a look at the book "Untamed" by by name sake Steve Bloom or visited his website www.stevebloom.com fantastic

They're not bird photographers but I like the portraiture of Karsh and I've been inspired by the photographers associated with the Neue Sachlichkeit movement like August Sander and Albert Renger-Patzsch. Unfortunately John I am fairly clinical in my approach but that is mainly because I've been a birder for far longer than I've been a photographer. I keep trying to improve my photographic artistry but the listing instinct to capture new species keeps taking over! Maybe I'll have a better balance when I've been doing it as long as you!

Vincent Munier I find an excellent, top notch photographer :D His book White Nature is a stunning example of a photographer pushing himself beyond bounderies and difficult circumstances just for that one picture to make.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back