• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Francisco - Oct 18,19: RFI (1 Viewer)

Lerxst

Hello:

Will be staying on the west side of town, very close to the zoo. I'm interested in birding along the coast and bay, wherever I stand the best chances of seeing some of the following:

any jaegers
red-throated, pacific loons
wandering tattler, surfbird
elegant terns

Also hoping to get some parakeets, and any warblers that might be around.

A couple questions:

Is there a best time of day for being along the water? Are early mornings good, or not (because of fog?) Any specific hotspots that folks can recommend are appreciated. I keep looking at the map and the area around The Presidio really jumps out at me as looking like a prime spot.

Thanks in advance!
-Mike

I'd walk from Ocean Beach via Sutro Baths to Presidio.
Don't think there'll be much fog this time of year. It's more of a summer issue usually.
Jeff

I'm new to birding, and to this site. So while I live in Northern CA, I can't give you an informed opinion. I know that in my area, Point Reyes and Bodega Bay are both considered to be good birding areas.

Also--it's nice to see another Rush fan here.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back