• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID from bird song, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" theme music - Houston, Texas,USA (1 Viewer)

ID from bird song, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" theme music - Houston, Texas,USA

For a week now I've been hearing a bird call that sounds exactly like the whistling start of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" theme song. 2 notes sung very fast as down, up, down, up, down. Thinking this species surely must have been the inspiration for that part of the song, I googled it, but no, the composer was supposedly inspired by the howling of a wolf.

If you aren't familiar with the tune, an audio clip of the opening whistling can be found on the movie soundtrack's wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good,_the_Bad_and_the_Ugly_(soundtrack))

I'm next to a 25 acre subdivision lake in suburban Houston. Anyone know what kind of bird I'm hearing?

In the UK I always think that Golden Oriole sounds like the beginning to TGTB&TU theme - do any new world Orioles have a similar song?

For a week now I've been hearing a bird call that sounds exactly like the whistling start of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" theme song. 2 notes sung very fast as down, up, down, up, down. Thinking this species surely must have been the inspiration for that part of the song, I googled it, but no, the composer was supposedly inspired by the howling of a wolf.

If you aren't familiar with the tune, an audio clip of the opening whistling can be found on the movie soundtrack's wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good,_the_Bad_and_the_Ugly_(soundtrack))

I'm next to a 25 acre subdivision lake in suburban Houston. Anyone know what kind of bird I'm hearing?

Hmm, you're near a lake, I missed that info when I first saw your post days ago. Maybe OK to mention that it sure makes me think of a Loon...
Marie :smoke:

I am trying to identify the bird who made the same sound (theme from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly) I heard it every morning as I pushed my baby through the a Houston suburban neighborhood in a stroller. That was more than 40 years ago. A naturalist friend at the time suggested it might be the Blue Jay’s mating call. I don’t think so. This is the Sharpstown neighborhood near Houston Baptist University and I don’t remember a body of water there apart from the deep drainage ditches that connect with Buffalo Bayou

On of the Indian continental Green Pigeon species call is a dead ringer for the whistling part......I kept whistling it for several days much to the annoyance of my birding companion in Kerala.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back